How Will I Be Known? | Teen Ink

How Will I Be Known?

December 6, 2018
By brojav BRONZE, New Orleans, Louisiana
brojav BRONZE, New Orleans, Louisiana
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

A vice can be defined as an immoral of evil habit or practice, a fault, or a weakness. In my life, my vice, or weakness, is that I am closed-off, specifically with my emotions. My mom and dad are divorced, and because of this, I do not trust that people will always stay. I do not let people in because I am scared that they are going to leave. This is a vice because it does not allow me to open up to the people that I care about. For example, normally, whenever someone deals with his or her own personal issues, they confide in someone. However, when I am dealing with my own personal issues, I do not tell anyone and keep it in. This can lead to stress, anxiety, and in some situations, depression. On one half of my letter, I have all different types of emotions, represented by emojis. The emojis are surrounded by dark colors to represent how my emotions are closed-off and covered in darkness. While a vice is a weakness, it can be overcome, which is what I hope to do with time and strength.

Although I am a closed-off person, it makes me more compassionate towards others. To be compassionate means to be sympathetic and concerning of others with whatever they are going threw. Being compassionate is my virtue, or righteousness. As a friend and family member, I am always there for my friends and family, whenever and for whatever. I always listen when someone needs my help, and I do everything I can to help him or her. For example, I have stayed up all night with my brother after he went threw a serious break-up. I did not care about my concerns or troubles, I cared about his concerns and well-being. To represent this virtue, I put hearts on the other half of my letter. The hearts are drawn in colors: red, blue, and purple. These colors are often associated with compassion and love. They are drawn to represent the hearts of others and how I am always there to help people out.

When I wore my letter to school, I felt weird and out of place. When people asked what it meant, it made me uncomfortable telling them my inner vices and virtues. This could be because I am a closed-off person and sharing my inner thoughts and feelings does not come easily to me. I noticed that in the halls, so many people stared at the letter. This could be compared to how so many people stared at Hester Prynne , in A Scarlet Letter, by Nathaniel Hawthorne. However, no one really asked Hester what her letter meant because everyone already knew its meaning. Later while reflecting, I realized that everyone has his or her own vices and virtues, but they are worn in the heart. In the end, we want to get rid of the immoral vices that hold us back and be known for the righteous virtues that allow us to flourish forward.


The author's comments:

I wrote this for my English III class about The Scarlet Letter