Grandma Said the F-Word | Teen Ink

Grandma Said the F-Word

By KayleeKrei BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
KayleeKrei BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio

The writing titled “Grandma Said the F-Word,” written by Molly G., talks about how the author was raised a feminist. After reading her writing, I feel I have a better understanding on the topic of feminism. I feel that the author, Molly G., has given a perfect example of what feminism should be. Today, feminists are portrayed as “man haters” who want women in absolute control; it’s no longer about equality. I’m not saying that’s what all feminists are like, but there are those who fit that description. I feel that we as a society have forgotten the true meaning of feminism, and, like I said, Molly Grazioso was able to get the true meaning across I this memoir. Molly writes, “Society assumed that all people of the same sex naturally had the same identity,” I agree with this statement. When Molly added one of her mother’s experiences to the story, it really added to this piece in my opinion. Molly writes, “Later, when her colleague told her to put on heels because her new pantsuit ‘wasn’t acceptable work attire,’ my mom replied, ‘That’s just too bad.’” Overall, this work is written well, and the reader can feel the emotion put into this writing.