Pure Happiness | Teen Ink

Pure Happiness

By emmawags23 BRONZE, Temperance, Michigan
emmawags23 BRONZE, Temperance, Michigan

Thread upon thread, knot upon knot, memories upon memories. All the colors of blue displayed upon my wrist. With a single glance, Myrtle Beach comes to mind. The countless number of waves I rode, the hours I spent absorbing an abundant amount of UV rays, and the mesmerizing late night walks on the beach, were now my focus. How could a single item bring back so many eye awakening memories?

It is nine in the morning, on the twentieth of July.  An agonizing car ride is upon me. Time could not tick any slower. Thirteen hours feels as if it was thirteen days passing. Anxiousness and excitedness approaches me as we make our way to South Carolina. After countless minutes, we finally arrive.

The big, blue Atlantic Ocean appears ten feet ahead of me. My legs can not help but move at a rapid pace towards the body of water. One by one, the waves crash into each other. The sky portrays an array of vibrant color. The scorchingly hot sand rubs against my toes, burning them to a crisp. The sun is gleaming ever so bright. Seashells are sportaically spread across the beach. Side to side, the palm trees sway. A feeling of relaxation and calmness consumes me. I never want to leave this place.

My hair, a mixture of knots and curls. My skin, shielded by layers of sunscreen. My body, stretched out upon a towel, trying to soak in every last minute of sunshine. My mind, a feeling of emptiness and no care in the world. A smile was glued to my face. Somehow, this place changed me. It be rid me of my failures and fears. My past was now meaningless. I was happy and that was all that mattered.

Happiness is brought upon me whenever I look at my bracelet. It brings me back to Myrtle Beach and how genuinely happy I was. The bracelet gives me the mindset needed to preserve through the struggles and challenges I could be taking on. I know that my problems are not as significant as I believe them to be. I also know that if I work hard, I can recover from my mistakes. Possibilities are endless, if I have the right mindset. The bracelet is tied to my wrist as happiness and positivity is tied to the ocean.

This piece is a connection between the physical and emotional things I carry.