Name Essay | Teen Ink

Name Essay

By samk33 GOLD, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
samk33 GOLD, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

In English, my name means listener. It means flower. The May showers bringing new life to the earth with rays of sunshine soaring through the clouds. It is colored brightly like a purple hued sunset painted in the sky at dusk.  Something simple, but elegant. The number 7, classic and a favorite shared by many.

My name is Samantha, but I am Sam to my friends. My name is the teacher calling “Sam!” and getting four different responses in return. It is so common, I just so happen to share this name with 3 others in my gym class. This means I always have to be associated with my last name or gender because “Sam” just isn’t enough. It’s nice to think I can be called Sam in my teenage years but also go by Samantha when I have a more sophisticated job.

Sam is like a pair of go to jeans worn for every occasion. They have been around forever but never seem to lose that special touch. Samantha is a beautiful wedding gown that has been passed down through the generations. More classy and elegant.

Sometimes I wish my name was something more elaborate and bold. Like a statement pair of cheetah print boots that starts a new trend. However, Samantha represents me well. Fun like Sam but more serious in certain situations like Samantha. I’d like to keep my name. It suits my different moods well with the simplicity and elegance of life.