Nicolette and Stereoptypes

I interviewed my friend Nicolette because we both get labeled and stereotyped. It has gotten so hard to be a kid these days. I wanted to talk about emo and stereotypes because nobody likes to get judged before you know them. It is not a good feeling when somebody doesn't like you because you dress or look a certain way or listen to a certain type of music. Everybody deserves a chance.

Q: 'What do you think about emo?'
A: 'I think it's the best thing ever and I hate when people diss it when they don't know what it means.'
Q: 'What does emo mean to you?'
A: 'A lot. It's a style; it symbolizes emotion, not depression. It's a genre of music and a way to express individuality. It's a way to say 'I'm different and I'm proud.'
Q: 'How do you feel about music getting blamed for suicide and depression?'
A: 'I feel like; if you don't like the music, just don't listen to it. Do something else with your time. If you have a problem, you need to work it out. Talk to someone. But you can't blame music for people's problems.'
Q: 'Okay, what are your opinions on depression? Most emo kids aren't depressed.'
A: 'I believe it's something based on who you are and what your life has been like. Not just emo and Goth kids get depressed. Just leave them alone!'
Q: 'How do you feel about suicide?'
A: 'It's a terrible thing. It's tragic and sad. But it's based on what you've gone through. Sometimes you can stop it, but sometimes you can't. It all depends on the person.'
Q: 'What do you think of stereotypes?'
A: 'I hate stereotypes, but everybody does it. Sometimes you just can't help it.'
Q: 'A lot of people think emo and goth are the same. Do you want to explain how they're different?'
A: 'Emo is so much different. I don't know much about goth, but the way we dress and act is different. Emo's can be happy! No offense, but I've never met a happy goth.'
Q: 'It seems like out of all the cliques, emo is beneath all of the other groups. Do you know why?'
A: 'Emo kids get picked on more because we're different. Kids hate kids who are different than them. It's like, 'you're different, and so we hate you.'.'
Q: 'A lot of people think emos like to cut themselves. What do you have to say about that?'
A: 'Cutting is disgusting. It's sickening. If you cut, you really need to get help. Talk to someone.'
Q: 'We have lives, right? We like to have fun! So what do you do in your free time?'
A: ' I do a lot of stuff. I write songs, poems, and stories. I hang out with my friends- mostly you. Music is also a really big part of my life and I like to sing.'
Q: 'Anything else you'd like to add, Nikki?'
A: 'Bottom line is: emos don't cut. Live your life and leave others be. Emo kids can be happy, 'cause I'm an obnoxious dork! I'm not sad! And that's all I have to say.'

Vexa_Rave said...
i liked it, but you kinda stereotyped goths yourselves by saying, "no offense, but i've never met a happy goth." wtf? i have a friend who's goth and is extremely funny. i agree with your point, but i wouldn't have included that. while making emos look good, it makes goths look bad.

Helen said...
Mar. 27, 2009 at 2:42 pm:
I love your interview, I know I stereotype people but I don't think that emo kids are depressed and all. My friend's sister is goth/emo and shes not depressed. When I'm over at her house and her sister doesn't have any friends over shes all happy and talk normally. But when her friends are over she gets all sad.

rachell said...
Mar. 27, 2009 at 8:35 am:
haha! this made me laugh, you have a long way to go, my friends.