An Interview | Teen Ink

An Interview

By Mabelle BRONZE, Nilai, Other
Mabelle BRONZE, Nilai, Other

My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are

I want to share my story with you. This story is told by my late grandfather, Ismail bin Ujang. During a fine windy evening, my grandfather, my mother and I were having our tea on a bench under a rambutan tree. We would rather prefer having a relaxed conversation than a formal situation. This is my interview with my grandfather on the tragedy of 13 May 1969.

Iman: Grandpa, my Kajian Tempatan teacher told us about the tragedy of 13 May 1969. Moreover National Day is around the corner. Me and my classmates were bewildered because we do not know a thing about the tragedy. Therefore could you please told me about the bloody incident?
Grandfather : The 13 May 1969 tragedy ? The tragedy has taken many lives of innocent people including the villagers.
Iman : Our village, Batu Kikir, Negeri Sembilan is involved too ? What is your age during the incident, grandpa ?
Grandfather : I was born on 28 October 1941. I was 28 years old during that time. I was young. My desire to rebel as a teenager is so strong that time.
Iman: Wow that sounds interesting! Please tell me about that tragedy, grandpa.
Grandfather: According to what I had been told is the tragedy is initially caused by the general election 1969. There was a misunderstanding and unsatisfication between the multiracial races of political parties.
Iman: What happen next, grandpa ?
Grandfather: During one of the parties were celebrating their victory, they trigger the anger of the Malays. It happened at Kuala Lumpur and spreads to several  states such as Malacca, Selangor and including Negeri Sembilan.
Iman: How can it spread to Batu Kikir, grandpa ? Our village is not really big you know.
Grandfather: The quarrel is not according to the size of place. When anger controls us, we could not think properly.
Iman: As you and I know, you were young during that time. Do you too join rioting ?
Grandfather: (Laughing) Of course no. My family are poor. Therefore, I need to work at the paddy field, rubber tapping and others to find sustenance. If not, how could we eat? But I know the truth about what happen at Batu Kikir.
Iman: How worse was the condition during that time, grandpa ? I heard that they use ‘parang’,cleaver and spears.
Grandfather: (Sigh) I have never told this to my grandchildren but your mother certainly know this story. Maybe your mother has told you about this tragedy before this. (While looking at my mother)
Mother: No, father. I have not told anything to her. She has not asked about anything. Moreover, I have forgotten about the details. Maybe you could tell about it again.
Iman: Grandpa? Mom? Why are you two look like you have been hiding something from me? What actually happen during the tragedy of 13 May 1969?
Grandfather: Oh well, if that is your wish, I shall grant it. During the rioting, your great grandfather who is my father, Ujang bin Kasim went to the town to buy some groceries. Fate has decided him to be at the wrong place and at the wrong time. During that time, the Malays and Chinese fought using sharp weapons. Many people ran away to save their life when the condition is beginning to threatening them. Your late grandfather began to freak out when a group of Chinese chase him. Unfortunately, my father fell on the road. He did not had the chance to get up and.... (My grandfather silent and shook down his head for a moment)
Iman: Are you okay, grandpa ? It is okay if you do not want to proceed your story. Maybe next time we can continue this conversation.
Grandfather: No, I am okay, Iman. Moreover, you as the young generation must learn about our history as a guide in developing Malaysia.
Iman: That is right grandpa. My teachers often advised us like what you said just now.
Grandfather: Alright, where did we stop just now?
Iman: You told me that your father fell and had not a chance to get up. What happens next, grandpa ?
Grandfather: A man with a ‘parang’ stags my father’s stomach until his entrails came out. He dies immediately at the scene.
Iman: (Shocked) Oh God! I did not really expect that. After that, what happens to your family, grandpa ?
Grandfather: His body is safely buried. After a few weeks later, the condition began to calm. The army and polices manage to control the commotion.
Iman: Grandpa, do you get angry and want to seek for revenge? Did you find the responsible man who killed you father?
Grandfather:  No. I think that if I want a revenge and seek for the man who killed my father, I am not different from he is. Besides, I have heard that the man had already caught by the authorities. Even though the tragedy of 13 May 1969 had happened many years ago, the scar is still can be felt until now. I hope this tragedy would not repeat again in the future. There are no winners and losers. Both sides would not want to lose a thousand of lives. Protect our country. Love and take care our beloved nation Malaysia. Respect other races. Remember that, Iman ?
Iman: I will, grandpa. I really hope that our future will be more bright and harmony.

The moral is, we should learn from the past, as what my grandfather and teachers said to
me. Now, I realize how important the history in our daily life. Thanks for teaching me
about that. Thank you teachers. Dedicated to my teachers who taught me history subject
during my primary and secondary school.