Out of Tragedy | Teen Ink

Out of Tragedy

By KMacLaren BRONZE, Spring Lake, Michigan
KMacLaren BRONZE, Spring Lake, Michigan

An accident may have taken both of Eric Westover’s legs, but it didn’t take away his smile and positive attitude.
“This tragic, life-changing accident has really shown Eric’s true strength and determination in life,” said Amy Coffey, who is Eric’s younger sister. “He has always been the big strong guy that is willing to lend a helping hand whenever someone is in need. He has really taken this incident and turned it into the most positive thing as possible.”

That “tragic, life-changing accident” for the 1997 graduate happened on Wednesday, July 29, 2015, when Eric was doing one of the things he loves most: riding his dirt bike.

Eric, who has been riding dirt bikes since he was 5, says he was looking forward to his weekly visit to Silver Lake Sand Dunes.

“My dad got me a Honda 50 when I was five years old,” Eric said. “I rode until just after high school, and I had just gotten back into riding again about five years ago. That week in July, I went up to the dunes with a buddy.”

It was windy that day and the hills were taller around the trees. Eric said he went up “test hill” and did the one ways before heading down to the water. His friend stopped to take a picture as Eric continued along.

“On one hill, there were two trees with big leaves that made it difficult to see,” Eric said. “I was going up when a jeep came over the hill. I said ‘oh s***’ and tried to hit my breaks, but there was nothing I could do. Next thing I knew, I was inside the jeep with my head facing the water outside the passenger door.”

Eric had broken all four of his limbs.

“I looked down and saw some blood on my legs and saw that my arms were all broken. I just held my arms to my chest as people came over,” Eric said. “Someone leaned against my back to give me some support until the DNR got there. I was conscious and told them to call Aero Med because I knew I was in bad shape.”

Eventually, Eric was brought by helicopter to Spectrum Hospital in Grand Rapids.

“The ride out of the dune was bumpy, and it put me in a lot of pain,” Eric said. “I remember asking everyone how long the ride would take because I was hurting. The lady in the helicopter said about 18 minutes. Once I was in the ambulance, my friend called my parents first and then my wife, Julie, afterwards because she was working when it happened. I don’t remember anything else for the next eight days.”

The accident occurred about 2:30 p.m., and Eric’s first surgery began at approximately 8:30 that night. His family arrived as soon as possible.

“When we got to the hospital to see Eric, the doctors told us that he was lucky. His limbs were broken, but he suffered no head, neck, or internal injuries at all,” his wife said. “It sounded really good, so I was surprised when I walked into the ICU to see him laying there.”

After Eric’s immediate surgeries, he was placed in a medically induced coma until Sunday.

“He underwent a long six-hour surgery on his left leg/ankle area, left arm, and right leg on Friday,” his wife said. “The doctors kept him in his coma until Sunday at 12:30. They planned to take him out on Monday but decided to do it earlier because Eric needed to be part of the re-evaluation of both legs and the decision to amputate his right leg.”

Eric’s right leg had no blood flow for more than 6 hours, and the doctors knew there was no way to save it because of the significant amount of dead tissue and muscle. It was decided that his quality of life would be better with a prosthetic.

On Wednesday, Aug. 5, Eric’s right leg was amputated above the knee, and he immediately started rehabilitation that Friday.

Eric stayed at the hospital for a couple weeks before moving to Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Center.

“Initially, it really hurt me to see Eric hurt as bad as he was, but I am thankful he is alive and will be given a second chance at life,” said Blair Eklund, one of Eric’s friends. “Also, we didn’t know what the future held for him. I did a lot of praying for him as it was out of my control.”

Therapy continued to go well for Eric, but the pain in his left leg seemed to be getting worse, not better.
“My left foot had a VAC (vacuum assisted closure) in it; it was getting no feeling, and I could barely move my big toe. The bottom of my foot was turning black,” Eric said. “It was a Tuesday, I remember, and the doctor came to change the VAC’s. He said we would probably have to take the foot, but we could make an appointment for that soon. I told him that I didn’t want to wait; I just wanted it done.”

On Aug. 27, Eric had his left leg amputated below the knee.

“On Saturday, I knew I already felt so much better after taking the foot,” Eric said. “Later, after the foot was tested, we found out that it had gangrene. If we would have waited to do the surgery, things could have gotten a lot worse.”

Eric continued with therapy six days a week continuing to build back his strength.

“I have nothing but admiration for him,” Eklund said. “Many other people faced with the same outlook would have crumbled, folded and given up on life. Eric has been an example we should all follow when faced with adversity. Get up and do what it takes to put your life back together and make the best of your situation.”

Although losing his legs has changed his life greatly, Eric said he is thankful for those who have been there for him.
“My wife has been there for me throughout the whole recovery,” said Eric, who has been married for nine years. “She has taken care of me during our whole 13-year relationship. Before the accident, we would split the house work and errands. For the last five and half months, she has been doing it all and working 40 hours so we could have health insurance. It makes me feel truly blessed to have married my wife. I love and appreciate her more than words can explain.”

Eric’s parents have also helped him and supported him making the process a little easier.

“I am also blessed to have the best family in the world. I had to move in with my parents for three and a half months because my home has three sets of stairs,” said Eric of his mom Kris and dad Bill. “My parents accommodated me with my wheelchair by opening doorways to the bedroom and the bath. My dad also provided a rocking chair and couch so that it was the same height so I could transfer from my wheelchair. My wife, mother, father and sister were all taking turns driving back and forth from Grand Rapids to get me to all of my appointments, which is probably the biggest task.”

Although Eric calls it a task, his parents say they didn’t mind his company for those months.

“Eric had been out of the house for a number of years, so I feel the time he was with us we became closer. It was a good ‘rebonding’ experience for his dad and me,” said Kris Westover, Eric’s mother. “Eric has always been a strong-willed, laid-back, kind of guy where nothing seems to bother him. He just felt he had to move forward, and he was not going to let anything get in his way.”

Adding to everything else Eric’s family has done for him, his younger sister Amy set up a GoFundMe account to raise money for the expenses that come along with surgery and doctor bills. The account (as of Jan. 26) has $14,050, which exceeds that goal of $10,000.

Additionally, Eric’s Shores “family” also helped. On Sept. 25, Eric's alma mater held a tailgate at the Homecoming football game in honor of Eric, and on Sept. 26 the school had its Homecoming dance; proceeds from both the tailgate and the dance of $2,000 were given to Eric.

The money raised will go to help pay for the prosthetics that were received on Nov. 11 and Dec. 15, which cost approximately $150,000.

With his prosthetics, Eric has been in physical therapy at Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation three days a week and has been walking in public since the new year.

“When I spoke to him the other day, he mentioned that he’s progressing faster than his doctors and rehab specialist thought he would,” lifelong friend Steve Mortensen said. “Every time they plan a rehab session with something new to work on, Eric is already progressed beyond that point--on his own. That’s how he’s always been and it’s just part of his personality--to be better than expectations.”

Besides the financial support and physical accomplishments, Eric says the happiest moment for him since his accident was when he was able to move back in with his wife.

“We had a home evaluation (to make sure the house was suitable for his disability) on Dec. 31 that went very well,” Eric said. “We had been staying in a hotel for New Year’s Eve and decided to try it at home for a night. We had to put many railings in around the house, but I have been home ever since.”
Despite everything, Eric said having the ability to inspire others is what makes this situation easier.
“By being able to help and inspire anyone with limb loss or just anyone in general makes me feel this truly happened for a reason,” said Eric, who played varsity football and wrestled at Shores for four years. “Yes, I physically lost my legs, but when I have my prosthetics on, I feel that they are my own. Just now, I have to put them on to walk.”
Mortensen says Eric has a fantastic attitude about the whole situation.
“Honestly, Eric has displayed the most positive attitude that anyone could possibly have,” Mortensen said. “Initially, I feared that a life-changing event like this could send someone into a deep and dark hole, but from the very first time that I spoke with Eric after his accident, he’d accepted what had happened and was optimistic about the future. Now when I speak to him, he's open to a whole new world of possibilities, and he’s the same ole happy guy. The miracles of modern medicine are going to give him a normal life, and Eric couldn't be happier.”

Eric and Steve have been friends since their highschool days while they both participated in wrestling.

Eric, who wrestled at heavyweight, said he loved wrestling because he could be part of a team as well as having responsibility to win each match on his own. Eric has continued his love for sports and athletics even after his accident.

“As much as I loved dirt biking in the dunes, I won’t be going back. There are many other activities to learn to love,” Eric said. “I recently tried wheelchair tennis, and I’m trying basketball soon too. Mary Free Bed has a YMCA that is accessible to wheelchairs and people with prosthetics, and it is almost in my backyard. I’m excited to be able to play popular sports with some little variations. I’m willing to try whatever.” 

It’s Eric’s determination that allows him to already be playing sports and continuing to stay active during the recovery.

“He’s tough, he’s determined, and he’s got a fantastic attitude about what’s happened,” Mortensen said. “Eric has always been a determined guy with a strong work ethic. Going back to our days together on the wrestling team, he always worked harder than the other guys on the team. Eric was determined to be the best wrestler he could be, and it showed in his overall wins (116). He’s carried that same work ethic and determination into this injury, and that's just part of his personality.”

Everyone else is impressed with the way Eric is handling this situation as well.

“Eric’s strength and determination have to be on the top of the list (of personality traits that have Eric has shone), but also his calmness and positivity as well,” his sister said. “Where most people would want to just give up and feel sorry for themselves, he and turned it into a learning process and he continues to challenge himself and surprising all of us, his therapist and himself too. Simply, things that we all do on a day to day basis, Eric challenges himself to regain. I have always said to him, we can fix your limbs. We are just so thankful his head, neck, spine, and organs are all intact because those aren't so easily fixable.”

Eric said he is thankful for many things, too.

“It could have been so much worse,” Eric said. “My helmet only had a couple scratches, which is amazing. My doctors said that my good health and the fact that I was wearing a back brace for support could have both made a positive impact on my amount of injury and pace of the recovery. Either way, I’m glad it wasn’t anything worse. I really just want to create some type of awareness for the dunes. Right now, it is a free for all. If they could create some more organization or maybe cut down the trees, that would help. I’ve also learned that having an above knee amputee is a lot easier than a below knee. Most importantly though, I’ve learned that you just have to keep going and make the most out of every opportunity you get.”

This story was inspired after hearing an incredible story that I felt needed to be shared. It was such an honor to meet this amazing and inspiring man and write his story. His hope and perserverance has motivated me to do anything no matter how big the obstacle seems, and I hope that everyone else who hears his story feels the same way.