First Job | Teen Ink

First Job

By tuneyagirl SILVER, Newark, Delaware
tuneyagirl SILVER, Newark, Delaware

It was all fun and exciting until I really stayed for months. Yes! I finally got a uniform rushing to put it on, taking pictures posting them on facebook, snap chat, and instagram. I just couldn’t wait too start.

My first day ever working, it was exciting in the beginning. Finally being able to work and feel like you’re doing something. I remember the day like it was yesterday. I called to check the status of my application my manager answered and said “Call back in 5 minutes”. Soon as those five minutes hit, I called back. She said “Come in for an interview on Monday at 4p.m. I got off the phone so urgently to call my mom too let her know that I have an interview.

I couldn’t wait to hear what my mom was going to say. She was proud as much as I was. You know all parents cannot wait for you too get a job and stop asking for money. Patiently waiting for Monday. No not really, I couldn’t wait. I tried to do things so I can forget about it, then the time will come by faster.

Monday came; I’m in the mirror trying on so many different outfits trying to look good for my interview. I look at the time and its 3:35p.m. I finally find a decent outfit than I leave the house. I felt as if I was rushing, but when I got there it was still early. So I waited, it was now 4:00p.m. My heart started racing it got too me that I am really about to have my first actual interview. I get nervous thinking to myself “ I cannot mess up!”. I tried to remember the tips my mom gave me the night before. When I first walk in shake he/she hand, look them in the eyes. I said to myself.

The manager walks over; I just smile to show that I’m not nervous. I shake her hand. She looked nice so I wasn’t so worried, the whole time she asked me questions I answered them still keeping eye contact. What caught her most is when she asked me why I wanted to work there, I respond “You guys are a big franchise and I would like to work to become a manager one day”. After that I felt as if I had the job.

Getting hired on the first day gave me the best feeling ever. As soon as I walked out I called my mom to let her know “I got the job!” After telling her the news spread all over the world. Well at least that’s what it felt like. Everyone texted me saying “congrats on your new job”.

Yes it sounded good, till after a while when I started to really work more. I disliked it, I have no time to hang with my friends. Or the worse is when I get called in on my payday. But I have to do it if I want my own money. Walking and standing all-day is the worse. Your feel start hurting, than your back, and it gets worse. It always seems to be like that when time gets close for me to clock out. Stay young forever! I don’t want to grow up anymore.