McKamey Manor

Are you the type of person who has no detectable phobia and laughs at hometown haunted houses? Could you survive a slasher movie without blinking an eye? Are you willing to go through up to 7 hours of what some would call the most intense experience of a lifetime just for a rush of adrenaline? If so, there is only one place in the world to satisfy you. We journey now to a suburb in San Diego, California.

McKamey Manor is endearingly described as the world’s most extreme haunted attraction. During the experience, you can be tied up, gagged, blindfolded, force-fed, put in a head cage full of snakes (including boa constrictors), and much, much more. And all for the low price of four cans or one bag of dog food, which is donated to Operation Greyhound. Now, before you start planning your next vacation there are a few rules. You must be 21 years old, sign a waiver, mentally and physically sound, and sober to even enter the premises. And that’s just if you’re willing to stay on a waiting list of over 24,000 people.

If you are like me, you’re probably wondering who on earth owns such an establishment and what is going on in their psyche. And so, I went on a quest for answers. I didn’t think that the owner of such a place would be an entertainer as well. But my quest led me to Russ McKamey, a wedding DJ with an interesting hobby; making the toughest of the tough (yes, I’m talking about Marines) go into fetal position from sheer terror.

Because of guest experiences like these, critics, who McKamey refers to as haters, make the accusations of sadism or even illegal activity. “That’s what cracks me up,” McKamey stated, “Everyone thinks I’m some crazy guy, and that bothers me a little. Cause they say some really ugly things and I’m the absolute, complete opposite. I’m the most protective-of-people kind of guy you’ll ever meet. The haters say some really ugly things and that hurts but there’s nothing I can do about it.”

Safety is a top priority at McKamey Manor but this by no means makes it easy to get through. “I couldn’t get through it,” McKamey said, “I tell people ‘You don’t want this’ but that makes them want to come even more.” When asked if anyone had lasted a personalized tour (seven hours), he just laughed and said, “Not even close.” At the end of 2014, McKamey stated that he would make things a bit easier for potential guests. “I have some amazing props and sets that nobody sees because they’re going out of their minds. Sorry, but it has to be done.” Easier, however, doesn’t guarantee lasting the entirety. 

We can definitely expect more scares and gore in the near future and McKamey is ecstatic. “I wish I could tell you just what I have planned but what would the fun be in that?” he stated, grinning. We are just going to have to watch the mckamera channel on YouTube to see what it is that he has planned.

Michelle N. said...
@ikonik I agree with you the haters aren't going anywhere because we know the truth based on talking with actual victims of this place. This idea that us "haters" just sit around all day and think of lies to tell is just stupid. you and I have seen evidence that people do get seriously injured in this place. We've talked to not one but two people who got injured, one was worse than the other, so its not like us "haters" are making wild baseless accusations, we actually have evidence and we've sp... (more »)

Ikonic said...
I really don't see how a interview with Russ is going to shut up the haters. But good luck with that. All the evidence is in the videos and people who have actually experienced the bad inside mckamey manor. Did you? I don't think so. So maybe you have no room to talk. Did you ever think that maybe some of the haters have actual proof and that's where they have came up with their claims??

LorenaHoggard This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 6, 2015 at 10:58 am
@ikonik I seem to have struck a nerve. Have you gone through the haunt? And yes, I had a long period of time where i thought there may be something going on at the haunt that shouldn't be and researched that theory extensively. However, a large group of said haters seem to have, like most of us, knowledge only of what the camera sees. The main argument I see is the argument of 'If its consensual, is it legal?' But, in recent interviews of past guests, they all say they have had fun. Now, you're ... (more »)

Michelle Nameson said...
actually the rumors on the internet are mostly from people who were ex actors. I personally talked to actually two particpants who went through and were physically assaulted by the actors in this place. One participant was injured in the face and needed surgery. The other had black eyes and a massive lump on the side of her head. the idea that all of us "haters" are wrong and were making up baseless accusations, is just stupid. I'm getting facts from people who actually went through.

I didn't say "baseless". I said "a large group have never gone through".

Mckamera said...
Great article on my haunt! It truly is the world most interactive and scary haunted attraction. Keep in mind...it's all show business folks, but it's a very real experience. Not recommended for most people. Like I tell everyone...You Really Don't Want To Do This! Stay safe and happy! www.McKameyManor.com