Prom Theme: What Did We Vote For? | Teen Ink

Prom Theme: What Did We Vote For?

February 12, 2015
By kassidy.tarala PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin
kassidy.tarala PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin
23 articles 0 photos 0 comments

As the ballot for prom theme has been strewn about through the hallways, study hall, social media, the talk about prom has increased. Prom is going to take place on April 18th at Country Springs. The possible themes for the 2015 prom are Yule Ball, Emerald City, Circus, Safari, Egypt, and Pokemon Prom, which was taken off the ballot but is a common theme voted for in the “other” category.

The seniors especially have become interested in the topic because it is their last prom and final dance with their graduating class.

McKenna Kling, an Arrowhead senior, says she voted for the Yule Ball theme because she is a fan of Harry Potter.

The Yule Ball is a dance that is in Harry Potter, and it is a very popular scene and a favorite of Harry Potter fans everywhere.

“I really like Harry Potter, so it would be cool to see all one of my favorite scenes of the series at our prom,” she says.

Kling says she would expect to see candles, fake snow, ice sculptures, and other wintry themed decorations.

“I haven’t gone to prom before, but I’m hoping there will be good music, a lot of dancing, and really cool decorations,” Kling says.

She says she doesn’t really mind if another theme is chosen for prom, but no matter what theme is chosen, she says she hopes to see a lot of cool decorations to really bring the theme to life.

“I just want to have a good time and to actually be able to tell what the theme is whether it’s Yule Ball or one of the other themes,” Kling says.

Similar to Kling, Shaina Clements, an Arrowhead senior, says she has heard a lot of talk about prom themes as well.

“I voted for Poke-Prom because I don’t really like Harry Potter, and I didn’t really like any other theme,” she says.

“I think it would be really cool to feel like you’re actually in the Pokemon game at prom this year,” Clements says.

Clements says she played Pokemon when she was younger and traded Pokemon cards with her friends.

“I’d expect a lot of Pokemon balls, cardboard cutouts of the Pokemon characters, robotic gadgets flying from the ceiling, and the colors common in Pokemon to be at the Poke-Prom,” she says.

Clements says she doesn’t think a lot of people voted for the Poke-Prom theme, but she would still love to see it come to life at prom.

“I haven’t gone to prom before, and I probably won’t this year because it’s really expensive,” she says.

“If the theme ended up being Poke-Prom, I’d definitely make an effort to go,” Clements says.

She says the theme of prom isn’t what’s important but the actual meaning of prom and what everyone is celebrating.

“It’s the last final hoorah for seniors and one of the last times our whole class will be together celebrating our high school years. No matter what the prom theme is, it’ll be a fun time to celebrate being young,” Clements says.