Expanding Awareness of GSA | Teen Ink

Expanding Awareness of GSA

By kassidy.tarala PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin
kassidy.tarala PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin

GSA is a club at Arrowhead that supports the LGBT community. GSA stands for Gay Straight Alliance, and the members include students at Arrowhead that are looking for a place to express who they are with people who accept them no matter what. The members include both homosexual and heterosexual students of Arrowhead who are willing to accept and be accepted.

However, many are unaware of what GSA does, much less that it is a club at Arrowhead Union High SChool.

Hailey Yokes, an Arrowhead senior, is a member of GSA who believes that not enough people know what GSA is and who is involved.

“The purpose is to give the LGBT community a safe place to be open about themselves,” she says.

Yokes says a lot of people do not know this is the purpose of GSA.

“We do projects to educate the community and school on the LGBT community,” Yokes says.

She says the club has about 30 to 40 members, but only a few can make it to the monthly meetings, so the group is relatively close-knit. Because of this, she says she fears GSA is not raising enough awareness around school.

“It’s supposed to be a group that anyone can join where they can feel safe about who they are,” she says.

Yokes says she is afraid that the majority of students at Arrowhead who are not in GSA think that the club is solely for kids in the LGBT community. But she says this is not the case.

Yokes says GSA is called Gay Straight Alliance because it truly is an alliance between students of Arrowhead who are straight, gay, or anywhere in between. She says she does not want anyone to hesitate in joining the group because of the idea that GSA is only for students who are homosexual.

“It is for anybody,” she says. “Absolutely anybody.”

Aubrey Kallenberger, an Arrowhead senior, is among those who are unsure of what GSA is.

“I don’t know what GSA is, but if I had to guess I’d say it stands for Graduates Stand Aligned,” she says.

Kallenberger says she believes GSA is a club for students who are struggling to keep up their grades in order to graduate.

“[It is] a graduation program for kids who do not have enough credits,” she says.

Once informed of what GSA actually is, Kallenberger says she did not know GSA is a club at Arrowhead.

“Not that I know what it is, I think that it’s probably a club for students who are bisexual or homosexual who are trying to raise awareness and support for gay marriage,” she says.

Kallenberger says she wouldn’t personally join GSA because she thinks most students would assume that she is homosexual just by joining the club.

“I understand that GSA is for all students, but people would probably assume it is strictly for kids who are gay, so many may be hesitant to join,” she says.