Dentistry overlooked at Arrowhead? | Teen Ink

Dentistry overlooked at Arrowhead?

By Jacob2015 GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Jacob2015 GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

"Writing means sharing. It's part of the human condition to want to share things - thoughts, ideas, opinions." Paulo Coelho

According to knowyourteeth, the field of dentistry has been in practice since the stone age, and many of the most common dental tools have been in use since then too.

TodayIfoundout says keeping a clean and relitively painless mouth today, is a lot easier than it used to be. They say dentistry has come a long way since its estimated inception in 7000 B.C.

John Weil, a senior at Arrowhead says he has been visiting the dentist quite a bit lately. Weil says that despite the pain, he knows his teeth would be a lot worse without his dentist. Currently he has had some abutments done where teeth were missing.

“Dentists are helpful but, I’ve just been through a lot with my teeth lately, and over time, they have gotten to be a bit annoying. But they are really helpful and they've helped me out a lot” says Weil.

Junior Sam Dunn says she gets a gift bag after every dentist appointment. Dunn says she likes that dentists are around to protect her teeth and to keep them pretty. She says her dentist is really nice and always do a good job inflicting as little pain as possible.

“I like them better than doctors because they’re really nice and talkative, but it’s hard to talk back because they're always working in your mouth,” says Dunn.

Adam Topping, a senior at Arrowhead, says he goes to the dentist three times a year. He says his visits don’t usually cause him any pain, and take under an hour.

Topping says his dentist is located close to his house in Delafield, which is convenient.

According to colombodentalassoc, some people will commute over three hours to see a good dentist.

Arrowhead senior Ashley Schnick says she goes to her dentist twice a year. Schnick says when she was a kid she got toys from the dentist, but now, she no longer receives the toys.

Instead she gets a toothbrush, toothpaste, and some dental floss.

Brad Whitfield, a junior at Arrowhead, says he likes his dentist, but admits to one problem and annoyance he experiences at the dentist.

“Dentists are really good at what they do. The only thing is sometimes they have bad breath and that can be extremely annoying,” says Whitefield.

Arrowhead students Weil, Dunn, Topping, Schnick, and Whitfield all have either never had braces, or have gotten them off.

But senior Garrett Deboer still has braces, and has had them since freshman year. Deboer says he has to visit the orthodontist four times or more each year. He says visiting the dentist usually causes him no pain, but visiting the orthodontist usually does.

Deboer is currently three and 1/2 years into his braces experience, and only has six months left to go. Despite the pain orthodontists have caused Deboer in the past three years, he says he is still thankful to have them.

“I’m just thankful that I don’t have jacked up teeth anymore, and that my teeth have gotten so much better since freshman year” says Deboer.