Life as a Hawkette for Kelsey Manock | Teen Ink

Life as a Hawkette for Kelsey Manock

December 23, 2014
By Nala.P GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Nala.P GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
17 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Kelsey Manock is a junior at Arrowhead. She says she has been dancing since the she was two.  She auditioned for the Arrowhead dance team freshman year and got in. Freshman year i made the dance team says Manock.
Manock is now one of the Arrowhead Hawkettes, a new team created by the girls from the AOD dance company.

Auditions for the dance week took place during the summer. The dancers were taught one dance. Then they had a speed round where the girls had to learn and perform a new dance in hour. After the auditions, a list of 35 the dancers were posted on the website.

Kelsey said she liked how practiced started during the summer so she had a chance to meet so many new people before High School even started.

Kelsey says a few of her memories from the dance team include doing secret santas, going ice skating, and dancing at the Milwaukee Wave game.

Manock says she attends practice three days a week for two hours in the north campus gym. During practices, the coaches have the team warm up for about half an hour by stretching, doing abs and sometimes completing a run. After warm ups, the dancers start learning new dances or reviewing old ones.

Manock says performs  at assemblies, football games, basketball games and Wrestling meets.

Besides dancing in the Arrowhead dance team Manock also dances for Accent On Dance which has practice every night for three hours, and five hours on sundays.

Kelsey says, “AOD practices help me improve my dancing as a Hawkette, but it also consumes a lot of my time.”

Manock says she plans on becoming a dentist in the future, but she also says she does want to have dancing as a hobby in college because she doesn’t believe she’ll be able to support herself with just dancing.
Print Friendly