Life of the Liu's | Teen Ink

Life of the Liu's

By Diana Magdaleno BRONZE, San Fernando, California
Diana Magdaleno BRONZE, San Fernando, California

Growing up, I truly never understood anyone’s life until I sit down and start talking to them. Those people I talk to share their childhood memories, experiences, their family history, and much more. Each individual goes through a connection with those special people for us to understand mainly everything they experience. Yet when it comes to students and teachers learn to know each other, I guess it’s sort of different. There are some personal stories they are aware for you to know in their lives. The teachers probably believe that personally students don’t care that much, however occasionally we do and each individual wishes to recognize the teachers properly.

My Chinese teacher, Mrs. Liu, shared her thoughts and memories of her life. Mrs. Liu was born in Nanjing, China, with the rest of the 6 people in her family including her. She has two older brothers and one younger sister that live in China and don’t own that plenty opportunities like herself. Mrs. Liu’s parents are both teachers which inspired her to be a teacher, her “daddy was a college professor.” During the county revolution a “red guard come over and they took away my dad.” During the country revolution, “they think the teacher they taught the students the wrong idea about the capitalism instead of community.” Mrs. Liu was just a child at that time and she’s terrified at that moment. If that would of happen to me, my dad being taken away from me, I would stop the guards. Even though we may fight, I would fight for him.

Now forward it to Mrs. Liu’s high school life. She literally compared her high school to the one where she teaches. In our school Vaughn, students talk numerous of times when teachers talk at the same time, some don’t achieve classwork or homework that’s given by the teachers, and they aren’t focused in school. Although in Mrs. Liu’s high school, it’s different compared to ours. The students “were more respectful to the teacher, they were motivated to learn. Many students try very,very hard, they always spend lots of time doing homework, in the classroom they don’t talk a lot. They don’t. They really focus, learning, really motivated… They have a long lunch time, most of the time we leave school around 5, but we have one hour lunch time. They stay longer than here.“ In Vaughn students only have around 15 minutes of break and around 45 minutes for lunch however students do get out at 3:20.

Now the time has come for Mrs. Liu to seek her American Dream. At age 26, she went to America for freedom speech, religion, and enjoyed numerous opportunities she gained. Now that she has additional opportunities, she can experience plenty items she hoped for like having more than one child in her family rather than in China, she would only own one child. In Mrs. Liu’s family, “all my brothers and sister they only have one child. Only me have two because I’m here.”