I Met a Therapist | Teen Ink

I Met a Therapist

By natart BRONZE, Danville, California
natart BRONZE, Danville, California

Small rays of sunlight flicker through the window blinds that block the open air of the outdoors. Sniffling vigorously, a young boy sitting on the other side of the room stares listlessly at the dust floating in the light, resting his head on his mother’s shoulder. I look away as his wet eyes dart towards me. I watch as various clients with blank faces walk in and out of the wait room. Some leave briskly; others stay for a few minutes to chat with their therapists about weekend plans. Everyone seems emotionless like robots, or so I think, until I hear muffled sounds of laughter and wailing from other clients through the thick walls. Fidgeting on the floral printed sofa, I flip through some of the old Vogue magazines and self-help books stacked on the table next to me, wishing the hands on the loud clock would move faster.

Suddenly, the door creaks open and a middle-aged, plump woman emerges. “Natalie?” she says in a raspy voice. “I’m Ginny. It’s so nice to meet you!” She motions me to follow her down a long hallway. As we enter her office, a sweet aroma of vanilla overwhelms me. Flowers in vases are lined up on the windowsill and scented candles are arranged on the coffee table. Forgetting my manners, I plop down on the puce couch in the center of the room, surprised at how welcoming the ambiance of the room is. Placing her coffee mug on a doily, Ginny relaxes into her comfy chair, gazing at me intently in a motherly way. Her pursed lips seem to be permanently curved upward, as if she is always about to laugh. The fact that her floral printed blouse so closely matches the sofa in the wait room amuses me.

“How can I help you today?” she asks cheerfully, as though I am a customer at a fast food restaurant. As I explain to her that I am writing a research paper on the diagnosis of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, she nods rapidly and squints her eyes. Shaking her feathery bangs out of her face, Ginny automatically stands up and picks up a large book titled “Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders”, off of her neatly organized shelf. Flicking her long French tips through the pages, Ginny lists off some symptoms of PTSD. “The main symptoms of this disorder are memory intrusion, avoiding situations, negative changes in thought or mood, and depression or detachment.”

Blinking rapidly, she gives an example of a veteran suffering from a flashback of a traumatic experience in combat after watching a scene from a movie. She states that little situations cause immense reactions in these people. Many of them attempt to suppress the memories; however, this causes them only more pain. Some people might not be able to remember the trauma, but their negative thoughts persist for long periods of time. For instance, Ginny explains that if you see a man wearing a red baseball cap on the day of your traumatic experience, and another time see a different man wearing a red baseball cap, you might have a sudden anxiety attack and have no clue why you are reacting to the visual stimuli. The reason for this is that you may not remember ever seeing a man in a red baseball cap, but a part of your brain still recognizes the stimuli. Carefully jotting down her words, I ponder the utter complexity of the human brain and its capability to notice such minute details without one needing to be completely consciously aware of his or her surroundings.
As I continue to press for information about the topic, Ginny’s voice grows quieter and more serious. “I’ve one client whose sister was raped,” she says, grimacing slightly. “She was diagnosed with PTSD because she felt guilty that she wasn’t there to protect her sister.” Ginny swallows and presses her lips together. She explains that PTSD is more prevalent among females than among males across the lifespan. I suddenly realize how difficult it must be for a therapist to listen to all these depressing stories, let alone give advice to the victims of trauma. It shocks me that people can be diagnosed with PTSD even when they themselves have not experienced the trauma. She notes that many of the victims’ family members also undergo counseling to deal with the stress.

“Processing the anger is part of the treatment,” Ginny claims as she tells me how she handles angry and/or aggressive clients. Many of her clients pace back and forth, intensifying their anger, so she helps them calm down with breathing exercises. Briefly shutting her eyes, Ginny lets out a little chuckle as she explains that she sits closest to the door in case her client becomes violent. For suicidal clients, Ginny explains that she requires them to sign a contract promising that they will not harm themselves. She asks them three simple questions: Are you having suicidal thoughts? Do you have a plan to hurt yourself? When do you plan to hurt yourself? If she senses that there is something wrong, Ginny immediately calls 911 and her clients must spend at least 72 hours in the hospital. Taking a quick sip of coffee, Ginny asserts that her clients must get rid of any non-prescription drugs. “Their biochemistry is out of wack. They aren’t able to feel or think straight.” These drugs greatly influence their moods and can cause them to make irrational decisions.

“The degree of PTSD has a LOT to do with the severity of the trauma.” Ginny’s eyes widen and I can see fine bloodshot veins sprawled around her irises. She claims that many of the symptoms depend on environmental factors and genetics as well. Everyone is different and it can take anywhere from months to years to heal PTSD so there are many clients who continually visit counselors and therapists throughout their lives. I ask her how one knows if the treatment is working. “Less nightmares, less avoiding, less reactivity, being able to function better,” Ginny states matter-of-factly.

I have never really thought about how PTSD affects one’s sleeping patterns until Ginny brought the subject up. “If someone is really struggling with nightmares…they are sleep deprived…and many of them end up going on medication. Difficulty sleeping is a BIG problem.” Lack of sleep leads to numerous health issues like heart disease, strokes, diabetes, and more. I try imagining what my life would be like without enough sleep. I would probably walk around like a zombie and lose all interest in everything that matters to me.

As she continues talking, I realize that although PTSD is a medical condition, it is difficult to diagnose because people have different ways of dealing with stressful and/or traumatic events. There are so many variables like the severity of the traumatic event itself, the environment one was raised in, one’s gender, and much more. Some researchers believe that PTSD is over-diagnosed especially in war veterans. Just because there has been a sudden increase in PTSD over recent years does not mean that these soldiers do not actually have the disorder. Studies have shown that veterans are commonly at risk to PTSD. Ginny explains that through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, more soldiers have become open to seeking treatment.

After thanking Ginny and leaving, I sit in my car for a few moments. Perhaps Post Traumatic Stress Disorder is over-diagnosed. What some researchers may consider a true diagnosis of PTSD may differ from a certified doctor’s diagnosis. Of course, some people might only be suffering from short-term depression but what if these symptoms continue to persist over time? If one fits the description of PTSD, who is to say that he or she does not have the disorder? Ginny’s insight on the subject made me wish that I had had a longer appointment with her. I think of my uncle who fought in the Vietnam war and wonder how he was able to overcome PTSD. Did the support of family and friends help him get back on his feet? Has he really fully recovered or is he still hiding inner struggles? The more I think about PTSD, the more questions are raised in my head. If therapy is supposed to be the “best” treatment for people with PTSD, why are there so many that must continually visit therapists throughout their entire lives? Ginny has answered so many of my questions, but I feel that her answers have only perplexed me more. In all, I hope to find out more about the diagnosis of PTSD and how it is treated through further research.

My uncle fought in Vietnam and I was curious to learn more about the struggles veterans endure upon their return home. I have been writing a research paper on the over diagnosis of PTSD and I decided to interview a therapist in order to gain more information about the topic.