Sharon Hermann's Legacy | Teen Ink

Sharon Hermann's Legacy

By Blugopher BRONZE, Durham, North Carolina
Blugopher BRONZE, Durham, North Carolina

Sharon Hermann, my grandmother, is an example of how even without the odds in your favor, you can still persevere and emerge successful. She had a very traditional upbringing for a farm family of the time, her father running the farm while her mother did all of the cooking and cleaning. This is perhaps where Hermann first developed a sense of hard work, as she and her five siblings had to help around the farm. After her divorce with her husband, Hermann had to somehow raise and support three kids on her own. She started working part time and gradually eased into a full time position.

“It was impressive,” Tom, her son-in-law said, “she worked hard to overcome difficult situations and always put her children first, helping them to become successful and caring adults.”

Hermann and her family had to enjoy the little things in life because they didn’t have a lot of money. They had to pick their priorities and buy only the bare essentials. Her daughter, Kim, recalled that she learned how to manage her money early on and attributes this skill to her mother to this day.

“Live as you can live,” Hermann said, “When one door closed, another door opened.”

Both Tom and Sharon Hermann believe that perseverance is key to any aspect of life, whether it’s in sports or in a career. If you can put your mind to it, no task is too hard to accomplish. Hermann remarked that she wants to be remembered for persevering through tough times and always keeping her faith throughout life.

Tom assured me, “Nothing is too impossible, some things just require more time and effort.”

Sharon Hermann is generous, hard working, caring, and family oriented. She always satisfied the needs of others before her own. Her stamina and will to never give up is astounding, even when the odds are stacked against her. She has taught me to never give up and to always persevere through tough times. If I truly want to succeed, then I should put my mind to it and keep trying until I do. I have learned from her that I should never feel entitled to anything and I should never take anything for granted.

“The world changes and people change,” Kim stated, “but legacies live on and on from generation to generation because they are life lessons learned.” Sharon Hermann’s legacy of perseverance and hard work won’t be forgotten.