Alyssa P.: Cancer Survivor | Teen Ink

Alyssa P.: Cancer Survivor

By Nala.P GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Nala.P GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

Alyssa not only survived terminal cancer, But she is also now a poster child for the same program that helped heal her, called Give Kids the World.

At the age of three Alyssa, a junior in high school was diagnosed with terminal kidney cancer. Alyssa is now going on 16.

After her diagnose Alyssa began chemotherapy treatment. After a year of treatment, she became too weak and was admitted into the hospital’s hospice program. The doctors thought she had only a few months left, and she was given a chance to have a wish come true. Alyssa wanted to be a princess because she believed that princesses could do magical things.

Alyssa and her family were given an all expense paid trip to Give Kids the World village, in Florida. This is An organization dedicated to giving kids like Alyssa the best week for their life.

At GKTW Alyssa says she was truly treated like a princess. Every Thursday at GKTW was Christmas, which for most of the kids was their last Christmas. During the trip Alyssa seemed to be a normal, healthy kid.

After the trip, Alyssa somehow felt better, and when she went in to see her doctor it seemed as though the trip had healed her. They gave chemotherapy another try, the tumor began to shrink. Even though the tumor shrank Alyssa is not completely out of the woods, she goes in every for cancer checkups, and gets her blood drawn for leukemia.

“I’m healthy, I have amazing friends that support what I do, and a loving family.” Says Alyssa.

Alyssa now volunteers at Give Kids the World Village. She also speaks at schools, corporations, conferences and event to raise awareness for magic that goes on at GKTW. Recently she spoke at The Give Kids the world 25th Anniversary Black and white gala. Alyssa has appeared in multiple videos to share her story and is even going to make an appearance on Good Morning America. She plans on volunteering again this coming summer break.

Alyssa is a really close friend of mine and it was great to be able to share her story.