Tumblr: A Funky, Fresh, Free Way for Teens to Express Themselves | Teen Ink

Tumblr: A Funky, Fresh, Free Way for Teens to Express Themselves

January 20, 2014
By 6gintert SILVER, Nashotah, Wisconsin
6gintert SILVER, Nashotah, Wisconsin
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Tumblr is a blog orientated site used by mostly teens and young adults to express themselves. It lets users effortlessly share, post text, photos, quotes, links, music, and videos from a browser, phone, desktop, or email.

Tumblr allows “reblog” or “favorite” posts from the blogs they follow, and users can follow as many blogs as they like.

Tumblr is typically used for self expression rather than social media. However, you are able to message people who run their blogs.

Emily, a junior in high school, says, “I normally don’t find myself chatting with others on Tumblr, but I have talked here and there with a few. Also, I can chat with my friends in real life that I follow online.”

Users can make the theme of their blog fit them.

Julia, a sophomore, says, “I mostly reblog photos and occasionally text posts that I like. When I reblog pictures, it is typically of places I want to visit, music and fashion I enjoy, and various interests of mine.”

Megan, a junior, says, “When I’m on Tumblr, I usually reblog more pictures of nature type landscape, pictures of people I find interesting, and several other odd interests of mine.”

Your blog can be anything you want it to be.

Julia says, “Tumblr can be a very good outlet for stress because it takes you away from the present and off into a different world for the time being. Beware though, it can be addictive.”

Megan says, “Tumblr can be what you make it. You can scroll through and find the positive posts and the things that motivate you, but you can also find the negative posts. These negative posts have a way with your head sometimes. You just have to know where the line is.”


The author's comments:
Carly and I drafted and wrote this piece together.