Reality Singing Shows | Teen Ink

Reality Singing Shows

By GiovanniCarcamo SILVER, Attleboro, Massachusetts
GiovanniCarcamo SILVER, Attleboro, Massachusetts

Television singing competition shows are watched by approximately 14 million people in the U.S. according to TV Networks Desperately Seeking Young-Adults Viewers on the website KansasCity.com. Shows like “The X Factor,” “American Idol,” and “The Voice,” are well-liked by fans of different ages.

These shows are a big part of the networking company’s line up period drawing in people and attracting viewers, but are three vocal shows plenty or too much?

American Idol fan Emily (10) can’t always catch new episodes every week but whenever she can, she tries. She enjoys the show because she finds it very entertaining

Emily always chooses a favorite contestant to follow through out the season. She said, “There are too many singing shows, as for one being better than the other, I do not like “X Factor” compared to “American Idol” because it’s too confusing.”

Amanda (10) follows “American Idol” and “The Voice.” She likes all the different judges in each of the shows and wouldn’t want to change them. BAmanda likes to hear what the judges have to say. She said, “The judges know more than me, so I always agree.”

Jenna (10) is also a dual watcher with “American Idol” and “The Voice.” On “The Voice,” her favorite judge is “Adam Levine, out of them all because he is very honest when he judges the contestants.” Jenna would not want to switch judges between the two shows.

She added, “The Voice is better because the judges choose people by their voice instead of their looks.” Jenna also thinks that there are too many singing shows even though she feels that the people on all the shows have real talent.

A fan of the “X- Factor” Christine (10) said her favorite part about the show is the auditions, though she doesn’t always have a favorite contestant throughout the season. Christine does not always agree with the judges because, “The judges think the people who are good did a bad job, when they didn’t, so I don’t agree with them.”

Rebecca (10) watches “American Idol” and out of all three singing competition shows, it’s is her favorite. Whether one show is possibly better than another she said, “I don’t know I’ve never seen the others.” About the judges on “American Idol,” she said, “The judges can be unfair to the singers."

Another viewer of “American Idol” is Erin (10). She enjoys the finale out of the whole season and like Christine, she too finds the auditions entertaining. Burke doesn’t have the time to tune in every week to watch “American Idol.” She also thinks there are too many singing competition shows.

She said, “Two was okay because Simon made the second one ‘X-Factor’ and he came from the first one ‘American Idol,’ but then ‘The Voice’ came and I think it’s starting to become too much.”

She does not feel that one gender is better than the other when it comes to the contestants. Her favorite judge is Steven Tyler. She said, “He is hilarious and he’s a rock star, so I trust whatever he says.”