Sights Set on The Olympics | Teen Ink

Sights Set on The Olympics

January 6, 2010
By Philippe Meister BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
Philippe Meister BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Tony trains hard but unlike other athletes. He practices for hours on end just to improve his results by fractions of inches. In an accuracy sport, like archery, fractions of inches can separate him from the top of the field. All the work will hopefully pay off in his quest for the Olympic Games.
Tony started shooting at age six while hunting with his father. Thoroughly enjoying the sport, he started practicing more and more. His interest in the sport grew, and he seeked the help of his current coach Alexander K.
"That's when I got serious about it; working with Alexander was the difference."
And a big difference it made. Tony has been competing for the last 6 years. Currently Training under Alexander, Tony is currently the Number one rated junior archer in the U.S.
Tony loves the sport but admits about practicing tirelessly.
“You have to get used to being lonely.”
“I wasn’t shooting well, but lately I have been competing with the best,” He says.
And he means the best. Tony finished sixth in the nation two years ago at the Junior Olympic Archery Development (JOAD) national tournament and believes he is better now.
Tony finished second in August at the Junior Male Recurve Unites States Archery Association Junior World Trials. He will travel to Antalya, Turkey, to represent the U.S in the Junior World Archery World Championships and is looking forward to the opportunity.
“I hope the flights don’t mess me up” he says.
Tony will compete for a spot on the U.S Olympic team. Tony, a young competitor who recently was sponsored, will compete against experienced professional archers. Will he make it the Olympics?
“I’m trying my best.”