Welcome Home | Teen Ink

Welcome Home

March 14, 2018
By Treadmill GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Treadmill GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
16 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Veteran,

I am 17 years old, a senior in high school, and will be attending a large university next year. In my family, I have had two people serve in the military. My grandfather and great grandfather both served in non-combatant positions, but they still helped out in every way they could. My grandfather served as an airplane radio mechanic, and my great grandfather was an army mechanic.

Over the recent years, I have learned about the controversies surrounding past wars, and how soldiers were so mistreated when they returned home, especially those in the Vietnam war. The fact that people insulted you and sometimes even spat on you hurts the deepest part of my being. You put your life on the line to save the lives of others, and to ensure that our great country has the freedom that we do today. Since many people did not say what you deserved to hear, I will say it now. Welcome home.

On this trip, you visited the war memorials in Washington DC. I have also visited them, and they made a lasting impact on me. Seeing the walls of names of soldiers who gave their lives for their country made me realize the true sacrifices you made, and the sacrifices you still make, even decades after combat. The things you saw in combat were more horrifying than anyone cares to imagine, and the fact that you can deal with these memories every day shows that you truly are a hero. Every day in combat is uncertain, and while you were serving your country, you dealt with this uncertainty every day. Not many people will ever know what this feels like, and I am truly thankful that you did this for all of us back home.

Veterans are heros. This is a meaningful topic for me because I have met many veterans, and they all sacrificed their lives for the greater good. No matter what someone has done for the military, or how they have served, such as my grandfathers, are heros. No matter what you have sacrificed, what you have seen, or if you have fought, you are a hero to me.

So as you should have heard when you came home long ago, thank you for all you have done, and welcome home.

Sincerely,

A thankful teen


The author's comments:

In this piece, I thank a veteran for what they have done, and welcome them home.