Dear Vietnam Veteran | Teen Ink

Dear Vietnam Veteran

By cnelson GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
cnelson GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

Dear Vietnam Veteran,

When someone deserves thanking to such a high degree as you, it’s hard to put in to words the amount of sincerity and wholeheartedness it takes to really say, thank you for what you’ve done.

The idea of leaving family and going to war, scares many people, but you stood up and made a sacrifice, you portrayed the ultimate bravery for the people of America, and because of that, I am eternally grateful.

I hope my words are able to reach the level of thank you you deserve. You are truly brave, truly strong, truly incredible. Not only are you those things, but you are also the reason that the United States has the opportunity to live the way we do: free.

When I was younger, I learned that my grandpa served in WWII. I was overwhelmed by the idea that he had to leave his family, and it made me think about how my dad must have felt. After the sadness passed, I realized how important he is, how special, and how much of a role model. I feel love and support for him every single day, just like I do for you. There aren’t enough ways in the world to show how much I respect and thank you.

Because of you there is happiness, connections, and most importantly, freedom. Your sacrifice saved lives, those lives you saved are able to understand freedom, they can live the life they desire, they can express themselves, all because of you.

I truly mean it with everything I am, thank you. You are one in a million, you are strong, you are courageous, and you are a hero.