Why I'm Thankful for America's Veterans | Teen Ink

Why I'm Thankful for America's Veterans

By Cheesecakes GOLD, Pewaukee , Wisconsin
Cheesecakes GOLD, Pewaukee , Wisconsin

Dear Vietnam Veteran,

Welcome home. Welcome home to the country you bravely served. Welcome home to the family and friends you missed dearly. Welcome home to the country that wouldn't be the same without a veteran like you.

I'm a junior in high school who is writing to thank you for your service and commitment to our country. It’s not just your service I'm grateful for but also your honor, commitment and sacrifice. To me, there is greater meaning behind the words “thank you for your service.” A phrase given daily and taken for granted, so I'll tell you my meaning behind these words to all vets.

Your service reveals a veteran who bravely represented our country. Without you, there would be no life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. I try to embrace these things daily, because of what veterans do to give it to us.

I am honored to be able to live the life I want in the “land of opportunity.”  Last year, I was blessed to be able to go to Washington, D.C. I saw monuments that told a story behind the Vietnam veterans. It was truly heartbreaking to get a glimpse of the lives that were lost from brave men and women and how unappreciated veterans were treated when the survivors came home.

I hope you know you are appreciated and that I am forever grateful for the sacrifice you gave to us, the people in America. So, welcome home.

Welcome home to the country you bravely served. Welcome home to the family and friends you missed dearly and welcome home to the country that wouldn't be the same without a veteran like you.

Sincerely,

~ A thankful citizen