Thank You, Veteran | Teen Ink

Thank You, Veteran

March 12, 2018
By sb333 PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin
sb333 PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin
21 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Vietnam Veteran,

It’s hard to imagine someone who feels so strongly about their country that they are willing to risk their life for others. Fighting for our country truly shows the bravery and courageousness you have. There are no words to describe the amount of thankfulness and appreciation I have for you.

My name is Sophie, and I am a senior in high school. After watching the Honor Flight movie, I was able to see and connect to what this emotional and hopeful day has to offer. Watching this clip reminded me to when I went to Washington D.C. Each and every memorial was powerful as I got to see and experience such a small piece of what you and your fellow veterans had to go through in order to serve this country. Each and every name engraved in the memorials has a special and powerful meaning, and I hope you know how important yours is as well.

I understand that your initial “welcome home” was not something most like to remember. It truly unsettles me to think that a strong, brave, courageous man like you did not get all of the love and appreciation in the world when you returned home. I sincerely hope that today you have been given the “welcome home” that you have deserved.

I am beyond thankful for you and your willingness to serve our country to protect me and help me earn my freedom. I want you to know how sincere I, as well as others, am when we say “Thank you for your service.” These five words mean so much more than what it seems. Thank you for your bravery, your strength - not only physically but mentally. Thank you for your courage, your willingness to risk your life, your strong heart.

Always remember what a blessing you are and will continue to be to all in this country.

Welcome home!

Sophie