Dear Veterans | Teen Ink

Dear Veterans

By ArrowheadMF GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
ArrowheadMF GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin

Dear Vietnam War Veteran,

I am writing you this letter simply because saying “Thank you for your service” is not enough. While saying your thanks is important, remembering the people who fought is more important. Whether you were part of the over half a million Americans drafted into the Vietnam war or you went overseas by choice, we, as a country, should recognize the sacrifice you made.

The sacrifices you made for our country created a debt of gratitude we will never be able to repay. As a senior in high school and as a citizen of a country that is free because of people like you, I salute you and cannot thank you enough.

As I am sure you know, many soldiers of the Vietnam War came home to shouts of disgrace and hatred towards them. I do not believe this was the welcome you and so many others deserved. I would like to say that your sacrifice, service, and duty to our country has not gone unnoticed. This is the country you so bravely fought for and gave your life for and even saying “thank you for your service” does not do it suffice.

Freedom cannot be defined through words. But is shown through actions. I can write this letter to you because of freedom. By fighting, you have showed me freedom in ways I cannot imagine. Leaving your life back in America at a young age is an act of bravery and sacrifice I could not imagine doing. The amount of strength and perseverance it must have taken to fight for your country is unimaginable.

The people of this country have not, and will not, forget the unpayable debt of gratitude we owe to you, I welcome you home, to the land of the free, home of the brave. Everytime the national anthem is played, the Pledge of Allegiance is spoken, and the planes fly over a stadium, it is because of the sacrifice you made for me and our great nation. As an individual and a nation, we will never forget your duty to our country and the uncountable ways you have served.

I would like to personally welcome you back home. When you step off of that plane, you should receive the welcome you deserved many years ago. The memorials you saw in Washington, are in remembrance of you, the sacrifice you have made for this country and for the grateful people who live freely within it. I thank you for your service and for everything else you have done to make this country the amazing place it is today.

Sincerely a grateful American.