Thank You! and Welcome Home! | Teen Ink

Thank You! and Welcome Home!

By ksacth7 GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
ksacth7 GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

Dear Vietnam Veteran,

I want to start out by saying Welcome Home and Thank You. Just like you, my grandfathers’ served in the military. My maternal grandfather went to Washington State for one year, when he was called to active duty. He was called from the National Guard to serve during the Cuban Missile Crisis and served for two terms. My paternal grandfather was stationed in Okinawa, Japan and served as a mechanic supporting the troops in Vietnam. I’m unsure of what your role was when you were stationed in Vietnam, but you may have crossed paths with him.

My paternal grandfather appreciates all gestures towards him because he didn't receive the kind gestures and welcome home that you deserved. No matter how small the act is, whether it is holding the door open, helping him get down or up steps, going to the grocery store with him, buying him a military ornament, et cetera, et cetera, he is sentimental about it because neither of you got that reaction or kind treatment when you returned from your service.

My name is Kate, I am 18 years old and a senior in high school. Along with my classmates, I am writing to you to say Welcome back. I do not know what it is like to serve in the military, and I have not heard stories from my grandparents. They didn’t like or want to talk about what happened when they served. My grandfathers were drafted as well, I can’t even imagine what that felt like. Even with college right around the corner, being drafted is a lot worse. Drafting is forced and college is chosen.

Just like you, my paternal grandfather did not receive the welcome home that our veterans receive today. So, Welcome home! and Thank you!. Thank you for all that you have done, serving our country for our people with our people. Thank you for your service, and the commitment you made to your country. Without you, we Americans would not have the rights and freedoms we have access to today.

Thank you! And Welcome Home!

A written letter to a Veteran on the Honor Flight