Thank You, Veteran | Teen Ink

Thank You, Veteran

By JohnDoe0875 GOLD, Lisbon, Wisconsin
JohnDoe0875 GOLD, Lisbon, Wisconsin

Dear Vietnam Veteran,

First off I would like to say welcome home. I sincerely thank you for your service. You risked your life for the safety of our country.  I have watched the Honor Flight movie and this motivated me to write to you and thank you for your service. I can’t even begin to imagine what you went through, and I hope you have had a memorable experience today. You deserve it.

I am a junior in high school. I can’t even imagine being drafted to go off to war being around my age. Leaving your family behind for the safety of our nation is brave of you. I am disappointed how the veterans were treated when they came back from the war. You should have been treated like the hero’s you are. I am grateful for your service. Your actions are brave and many people couldn’t have done what you have accomplished. 

I want to tell you that all of the veteran’s are not forgotten. Your service to our country has not gone unnoticed. Our country would not be the same without the veterans that have risked their life for our freedom. Everytime I stand for the flag and put my hand over my heart, I do it for people like you. For all of the people have have lost their life fighting for my future. You have some bravery that I hope to have in my future.

Once again I would like to say welcome home. You are a brave man and your actions will not go unnoticed. Our country owes a debt to you for everything you have done. I hope you have made a lifetime memory at the war memorial. You deserve it, welcome home.

Thank you,
John Doe

A letter to a Vietnam Veteran.