Letter to Veteran | Teen Ink

Letter to Veteran

By racergirl77 GOLD, Oconomowoc , Wisconsin
racergirl77 GOLD, Oconomowoc , Wisconsin

Dear Vietnam Veteran,
Many people today are so caught up in being politically correct that they are too nervous to talk to a veteran about their service or even just thank them.  They are afraid what they say or ask will offend the veteran or bring back old memories.  I think that is incredibly sad because your sacrifice for our country is something that should be valued and understood. It was a part of your life that you gave up for us.

I recently watched the Honor Flight movie and I was inspired to write to a veteran because the movie made me think about things I’ve never thought of.  I am going off to college next year in Madison to study nursing. The thought of only being an hour away from home scares me and I can’t begin to imagine how you must have felt leaving home.  You are the best example of what it means to be brave and courageous.

I also realized through our discussion in class after the movie, that there are so many clubs that involve veterans.  First there is SAVE, a club that interviews veterans and records the interview to keep them as part of history so younger generations can watch them and understand what you went through.  Our National Honors Society also puts together a spaghetti dinner to raise money for veterans and a beautiful veterans day breakfast for veterans to attend with their families.  I’m going to get more involved with these clubs and events for veterans because it is so important to honor and thank veterans like you who fought for our country.

I know when you came back home you didn’t get the welcome home or the love and respect you so deserved. I’m sorry it’s so many years later, but I want to be one of the first people to welcome you home. Welcome home and thank you for your service.

I hope that you had an enjoyable day touring around Washington D.C.    
and seeing all the monuments.  I have only seen pictures and videos, but a trip to Washington D.C. is now high on my list of places to go.      

Thank you again and welcome home