Why I'm Thankful for American Veterans | Teen Ink

Why I'm Thankful for American Veterans

By Tennisgirl109 SILVER, Hartland , Wisconsin
Tennisgirl109 SILVER, Hartland , Wisconsin

Dear Veteran:

I am writing to thank you for your commitment and service to our country. Because of you, I am able to live where I am able to pursue my dreams. I can’t even imagine what you went through when you served in the military, but I am grateful for you and the many soldiers who represent America.

I am sixteen years old and a high school junior in Hartland, Wisconsin. In our Creative Writing class we watched the Honor Flight video and I thought the video was very touching. In the video I got to see the smiling faces the many veterans with their families. I can only imagine seeing the engraved names in stone of millions including yourself in Washington DC was a special experience.

In the future I would like to be part of the honor flight and see the millions who have fought for me. Freedom is a direct result from the soldiers who fight for our country. Because of this, I am free to be the person I am today. As a young woman, I am able to pursue my dreams of becoming a speech pathologist. As an American, I have the freedom of speech, the choice to fulfill my aspirations and the hope of a bright future.

Honor is what soldiers earn as they are dressed in uniforms full of pride. Honoring soldiers reminds us of times spent in war. Proudly blowing in the wind our red, white, and blue flags represents all those who fought. Strength is needed while walking into your car, wondering did I make the right decision? Strength is saying “goodbye” to our loved ones as we proudly hold the American flag, the greatest sign of patriotism.

Thank you once again for your commitment and service and I wish you only the best!