Why I'm Thankful for America's Veterans | Teen Ink

Why I'm Thankful for America's Veterans

By skigirl14 GOLD, Nashotah, Wisconsin
skigirl14 GOLD, Nashotah, Wisconsin

Dear Veteran,

This past week, in my Creative Writing class, I watched the Honor Flight movie. This video puts a human touch on distant wars. The veterans discussing their memories of losing friends and fellow soldiers to battle is both heartwarming and heart wrenching.

The community that came together to provide this service, free of cost, had a honorable purpose. I have never really thought about what veterans like you have gone through to help keep our country safe and our home feeling like home. But after watching the Honor Flight, I was inspired to write this letter. Welcome home and thank you for your service!

I have six people in my family who have served for our country from WWI through the Vietnam war. I love hearing the stories about how they lived and what hardships they went through to be able to come back home. I’m always interested in hearing stories from veterans who have served.

The love, support and devotion you have for our country is awe-inspiring. I think about the hardworking men and women who fought for our country when I say the Pledge of Allegiance every morning at school, when I see the jets flyover the stadium at a ball game, and when I watch fireworks on a warm summer fourth of July night. I am thankful to be part of the country you serverd.

You are a hero. You kept your head up and continued to fight. I am forever appreciative for your sacrifice. I cannot conceptualize how you were able to leave home at such a young age to fight in a war knowing you could possibly lose your life.

The Honor Flight is a great way to pay tribute to veterans like you. I am forever grateful and thankful for all of your hard work and devotion to our country. Thank you for your service.