Thanks to You | Teen Ink

Thanks to You

By samk33 GOLD, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
samk33 GOLD, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

Thanks to you, I can gather with my friends and family on the Fourth of July to celebrate America’s 241 years of independence. On the Fourth, I celebrate with loved ones around a bonfire looking over the lake, awaiting the sunset and exploding fireworks. The American flag sways freely on my front porch as I run around my backyard with my brothers and sisters laughing and playing. Thanks to you, I can be me.

Thanks to you, I have the opportunity to travel freely. I can visit the Arlington National Cemetery and remember why I am standing here today. I can listen to the clicking of the tombstone guards heels, shivers running through my body, thankfully standing on the free soil my feet lie on. I can see the gravestones of the people who died because they loved this country. I can see faces of families that have lost a loved one glimmering with hope. Thanks to you, I can be me.

Thanks to you, I have a house and family I come home to every night. I have grandparents to share stories and cousins, aunts, and uncles, to share memories with. I have a mom and a dad that work hard to fulfil their American dream.

Thanks to you, I stand for the Pledge of Allegiance in school each morning and remember why I have the opportunity to learn. I sing the National Anthem with pride. I am proud of who I am, where I come from, and the values that this country stands on.

Thanks to you, the most selfless people who serve the United States of America, because, thanks to you, I love the life that I live and the country I live in.