The Hero to My Sidekick | Teen Ink

The Hero to My Sidekick

By ksweeney218 BRONZE, Metairie, Louisiana
ksweeney218 BRONZE, Metairie, Louisiana

A hero is someone who saves others, maybe not from evil, but from sad times or hard times. They try their hardest and fight for those who cannot fight for themselves. A hero knows what is right and what is wrong, and they give to those who need help. My best friend, Jenna, is my hero. She was born on January 16, 2000, a month and two days before me. She has lived in Slidell her whole life. Jenna is gifted in many ways. She plays saxophone inexplicably well. She can sing as well as she plays the saxophone, if not better. She is in the gifted program and was made drum major this year. Jenna is my hero because she is courageous, generous, and loyal.

Jenna has been courageous her whole life. She has tried everything and will try anything. She has played volleyball since she was ten. Her freshman year, she played and lettered on the Varsity volleyball team. Jenna has also played sand volleyball. She started to play saxophone when she was in fifth grade and showed amazing talent when she started. Jenna is currently drum major and loves every second of it. During concerts, she plays saxophone and sings. She has always had an amazing voice, and her songwriting skills are on par with Freddie Mercury. Ukelele is another instrument she plays extremely well. She loves listening to the sound of it, and she plays a mean I Can’t Help Falling In Love With You, the Ingrid Michaelson version; she made me specify. Courage is something she definitely has. Standing in front of the whole band, and the rest of the school, directing them can not be easy, but Jenna goes out and makes it look easy. Jenna is a role model to me, I can only dream to be as courageous as her.

Generosity has always been one of Jenna’s best traits. We have known each other since we were little and we have never fought, and part of that reason is Jenna’s generosity. Whenever we would play with Barbies, she would let me choose the one I want to play with first, then she would pick one. When we played house with our little sisters, Jenna would let everyone else pick their roles and she would usually end up with mom, or teacher if we were playing school. She always thinks of others first. One time I went to go watch her at a math tournament, and when she saw me, she immediately introduced me to all her friends so I would not feel left out. Another time, I went to watch her play sand volleyball, and her team needed an extra player, her first reaction was to ask me. I ended up not playing, but her asking me shows she wanted to share her experience with me. When I give her a birthday present, I always make it myself with things I already have because giving her something store bought seems unacceptable for all the things she has done for me.

Finally, Jenna is loyal. She never gives up on anyone. Last year, a friend of ours, I will call her Kate, was in a bad spot. Kate was making bad decisions that affected her relationship with Jenna. Jenna noticed and started helping Kate as best as she could. After many weeks of trying to help Kate, she was still in bad place, and it was also affecting Jenna. In the end, Jenna could not do much other than to tell Kate if she can get over the bad decisions, Jenna would be there by her side. Jenna’s loyalty is also seen in her family life. Her little sister, Riley, has always looked up to Jenna and trusts her to always be there for her. Jenna never starts a fight, but when Riley does, Jenna is always patient and gives her best advice to Riley. She is an inspiration to big sisters everywhere.

Courageousness, generosity, and loyalty are all traits my best friend Jenna has, and that makes her my hero. Jenna is courageous because she has always strived to do her best in everything she does. This has gotten her to be the drum major and in the gifted program. She is generous because she thinks of others first, allows them to pick first, and she does not let her friends feel left out. Jenna is loyal because she never gives up on anyone, even when her friends are making the worst decisions. Jenna will always stand by her friends and strive to make them better people. She is my best friend, my sister, and my hero, and I could not ask God for a better person to be my role model.