Tribute to a Legend | Teen Ink

Tribute to a Legend

By Sagerebel18 SILVER, Salem, Oregon
Sagerebel18 SILVER, Salem, Oregon

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."
Michael Jordan

Adrenaline pumps through Lane’s veins as he ties his hand to the bull.  A prayer escapes his lips, as he nods his head.  Life itself flashes before his eyes, and he wonders if he will see the faces of his loved ones again.  As the gate swings wide Taken Care Of Business rages, eight seconds seems like eight hours as the bull bucks and spins. Snot, sweat, and saliva from the bull flies through the air. The bell sounds and he jumps off and trips as he tries to get away from the bull, but it's too late to run, by the time he tries to crawl away the bull’s horn pierced Lanes side.

He struggles to his feet and waves to Tuff for help. As Tuff runs out into the arena his friend hits the dirt, and his body becomes limp. The crowd is silenced. They wait for Lane to stand but he never does. Bull fighters, medics, and Tuff Hedeman rush to Lanes limp body. He is rushed to the hospital, he died a little while later after arriving to the hospital. “Who was this legend, and why did he have to die?”

“Lane Clyde Frost (October 12, 1963 – July 30, 1989) was an American professional bull rider ,who died in the arena at the 1989 Cheyenne Frontier Days Rodeo as a result of injuries sustained riding the bull Takin' Care of Business.”

Lane was a tall lanky man, he wasn’t the most muscular bull rider but he was tough.  He was a very humble and loving person who loved Jesus more than anything. He was very good at encouraging others, and made sure to help others as much as he could.  Lane had brown hair and brown eyes. While Tuff had dirty blonde hair and blue eyes.

As he gets on Fallen World the bull, he remembers his best friend. He nods and the gate swings wide. Lanes legacy came to life once more. The eight second bell rings, but he stays on and rides for Lane. The time keeps running, the Fallen World can’t move his rider. As the bull tires Tuff begins to fan the bull with his hat. Eight seconds turns into sixteen seconds. He jumps of the bull feeling closer to his friend lane than ever. He waves to the crowd like Lane did after every ride.  Lanes legacy lives in the hearts of his fans and those who look up to him. “It was an emotional moment for Tuff” …”It was the only time I’ve gotten off a bull with tears running down my face.”

“Don't be afraid to go after what you want to do, and what you want to be.
But don't be afraid to be willing to pay the price.”
Lane Frost