Who Is Your Hero? | Teen Ink

Who Is Your Hero?

By ains_23 BRONZE, Riverview, Florida
ains_23 BRONZE, Riverview, Florida

"Things do not have meaning. We assign meaning to everything."

“Who is your hero?” They would say, patiently waiting while the two year old me contemplated the whole meaning of the word hero. Did they mean what man or  thing had swooped down from the sky with a cape and rescued me as soon as I was distressed? Did they want me to say the doctors who had tormented me for weeks at a time, scarring me for the rest of my life? Or were they looking for the people I relied on for the smaller things in life like tying my shoe when it comes untied or sitting by my side at midnight when I fail to sleep.

At the age of two I had decided that nobody has to do anything big to be a hero. They simply have to care and share their care to those around them. They must save and protect the ones they love, that is what a hero was to me. So once faced with the dreadful question from then on out I replied with my dad. In fact, I still have a picture frame of us that says “my hero” on it. He did nothing special but be a dad and teach me what it meant to be alive on this Earth and he showed his love no matter what. 

Here I am fourteen years later with the same question being placed in front of me. Until recently my answer would of never wavered and I would of never dreamed of changing it. However, I have discovered the importance of being your own hero and saving yourself from time to time.  I once had someone say to me “Everyone on this Earth has the desire to change the world and save it. There is no need to save everyone, that is quite the burden. To save one person is even an accomplishment. But the most important thing you can do in your life is save yourself.” From now on, when asked who my hero is I say myself because no one can have more care and love for me and me. No one could want then best for me more than I could myself. I have decided to be my own hero. Don’t be afraid to be your own hero either.

I hope people will be encouraged to find the hero within themselves from time to time.