Unchosen Hero | Teen Ink

Unchosen Hero

By smilingsunflower SILVER, Hemet, California
smilingsunflower SILVER, Hemet, California

How can everyone choose a hero? I can't even choose what to wear in the morning… To pick someone in my life to look up to is impossible. I have my friends, parents, and other amazing people in my family.

One friend is amazingly determined and talented. She draws things that I didn’t even know I wanted to see on paper. On top of that she keeps up on everything and is a bullet on the track. I have another friend to look up to as well. She is strong-willed and solicitous. I have never met someone who will fight for something they believe in until the end, but she still believes in respecting other people’s different opinions. When I go through something bad I can depend on her to listen to my rant or to read my rant on certain days. They accept my imperfections and support me despite them.

My parents are also my heroes. They too are flawed, and they have flawed children. Despite that they are perfect to be heroes. My mom is is a nurse and literally helps people for a living, and she works hard just to raise my sister and I. My dad makes me feel comfortable with being weird and saying my unique personality and wonderful. I wouldn't trade my parents for anything.

My aunt is also amazing.I can't remember a time in which she was unpleasant to be around. With her generous and humble attitude, it is no surprise that she is a nurse as well.

When someone asks me who my hero is I have no answer. I keep people around me who are my heroes, even if it is something as small as helping me when I'm sad to helping people everyday. I can't imagine a world where I can only pick one hero, and I don't think I would want to. The world is filled with heroes, and I am optimistic that people will realize they are as great as Superman, Batman, or any other chosen hero.