Jackie Robinson | Teen Ink

Jackie Robinson

December 1, 2016
By Skichick1 GOLD, Okauchee, Wisconsin
Skichick1 GOLD, Okauchee, Wisconsin
12 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I strive for accomplishments: accomplishing a win during my lacrosse games, winning the state title, and winning my alpine ski races. If I don’t have a good ski run, get second place, or lose a lacrosse game, I feel disappointed. I would also feel disappointed with myself if I were not able to play the sports I love because of something I could not change: my skin color.


Jackie Robinson would be a man I would enjoy getting to know. Talking to him about all the troubles and the complications he went through, the negative comments people screeched at him, and him how he mentally got through everything. I would also talk to him about the feelings he had when he finally broke the color barrier in sports. Jackie Robinson would be an inspirational person to meet.


If I were able to have that conversation with Jackie Robinson, I would make sure to record our conversation and ask for his permission to make a book out of his experience. All the ups and downs he had to go through to break the barrier would be amazing to hear about from him, firsthand, unchanged by the history and time.