Letter to a Veteran | Teen Ink

Letter to a Veteran

December 1, 2016
By AutumnLeaf GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
AutumnLeaf GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
18 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Veteran,


Thank you. Thank you for fighting for the freedom in America that we have today. We can speak our minds, practice any religion we choose, and have an equal standing with each and every citizen in this country. You were willing to sacrifice your life to give future generations the successful lives that we have today. You fought for honesty and righteousness. You left your own family in exchange for protecting ours.


I not only remember the soldiers that fought in the gruesome battles for this country’s independence, but all wars in the past, present, and those yet to come. You are the reason America has strength and development. Wars have been fought over women’s rights, freedom, and slavery—not only for the purpose of defending our beliefs, saving lives, and eliminating threats, but for everything we have in America today.


The reds, whites, and blues of fireworks appear in the distance every Memorial Day, commemorating you and all other veterans who risked or sacrificed their lives for this country. Those who died for our country. Those who made it back to their families, but others who never had the chance to say goodbye. No matter how many stars the flag had, all American citizens and Lady Liberty have always welcomed and remembered the courageous veterans from wars across the sea.


We appreciate every moment you have spent in war, every second a risk to your life. 


Hundreds of thousands of people pray for their loved ones after they leave for war, only wishing they would be safe. The National Anthem, a symbol of the power and strength of America, gives all citizens a sense of hope and faith that you and other veterans will survive the war. There is no amount of gratitude that can equal the extent of what you have done for our country.We welcome you, with tears, joy, and freedom’s colors, safely back to the United States of America.