Let Freedom Ring | Teen Ink

Let Freedom Ring

By Arcee08 GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Arcee08 GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

“O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave...” Whenever I play the National Anthem, those words ring in my head like the Liberty Bell and I think of my family and a group of women whom I adore. Memorial Day reminds me of them and I wonder if they would be proud of me.

I’m proud to say both of my grandfathers served in World War ?. My mom’s dad Grandpa Harry was in the Navy. He suffered from PTSD and passed away before I got the chance to meet him. My dad’s, father, Papa, as I call him, just turned 90! He was a member of the Military Police and I absolutely love hearing his story of his service over and over again.

I also had an great aunt serve in World War ?. I love unearthing family history. Two years ago, I learned that my Great Aunt Marcella Shatusky was a nurse in World War ?. I was writing a paper for U.S. History. It was about my heritage and my mom told me about her. That moment of discovery turned into a quest to find out more women who served.

I eventually found a group in which all but a few have forgotten: the Women Airforce Service Pilots of WW? (WASPs for short). They ferried airplanes across the nation, towed targets for the men to practice and were test pilots for repaired aircraft. They flew almost every type of military aircraft even the B-26 and B-29 bomber aircraft. When the war was over, they got nothing for it. But in 2009, they received Congressional Gold and are proud.

“The land of the free because of the brave,” is a powerful quote that rings in my mind like the Liberty Bell, I think of my family and the group of women who are my idols in aviation. Memorial Day reminds me of them and now I know they are proud of me. They are proud of me for sharing their story and for remembering them on this special holiday that is all for them.