Cesario Estrada Chavez | Teen Ink

Cesario Estrada Chavez

By Jayleeeee BRONZE, Palm Desert , California
Jayleeeee BRONZE, Palm Desert , California

When people are inspired, they make significant choices. After ten years of having to move all around the state to help his parents in the fields, Cesario Estrada Chavez knew he would dedicate his life to change the working conditions for people in the fields. Chavez was born in Yuma, Arizona to two Mexican-American migrant farm workers. He and his family lost their home during the Great Depression in the American economy to the state because they could not pay the bills resulting for him to drop out of school and help his parents in the fields (Fighting for Farm Workers). During working in the fields, the farm workers and himself worked in very poor working conditions. Cesar Chavez changed the life of migrant farmers by becoming a labor organizer and fighting for better working conditions in the fields.

Chavez grew up in the fields to help his parents out but while working they suffered racism because they were Mexican. Racism was everywhere during the 1960’s, it was said to be called the Era of Protest (history). This was the time of Martin Luther King Jr meaning it was the time of segregation and racism. It was basically that if someone was not white, they were treated poorly with poorly working conditions. Because of all the racism, segregation and Cesar Chavez along with other people protested to stop it all. 

Chavez decided to lead boycotts, marches and hunger strikes resulting to secure raises and improve working conditions for farmworkers. “Millions followed Cesar Chavez on his journey which won monumental gains for farm workers, for civil rights, political representation for racial minorities and environmental justice.”(Alarcon). Now days, migrant farmworkers are able to have a voice and better working conditions. Chavez helped farm workers have better raises and working conditions by leading nonviolent protest and organizations.

The lasting effects of Cesar Chavez’s choices were that the migrant farm workers get regularly resting periods, clean drinking water, hand washing stations and protective clothing. ”He was a unique and humble leader, in addition to being a great humanitarian who influenced and inspired millions of americans to seek social justice...”(Cesar E. Chavez). Mexican-american or any race migrant farmer do not have to be afraid now of being mistreated or have no good working conditions. Farmworkers around the United States will see good working conditions that they have built which will lead them to not be afraid to work having to fear for the bad conditions.
Cesar Chavez changed the life of migrant farmers by becoming a labor organizer and fighting for better working conditions in the fields. Chavez believed in the rights of migrant farmworkers and did not want them to suffer like him and his parents did. With what he did everyone should have respect towards his work. Farmworkers are a huge importance in today's society and with the rights they now have in their work, they would not want quit.