Military Wannabees | Teen Ink

Military Wannabees

I really hate those people who like to say that one branch is better than all the others when they have never been in the military or  don’t have direct family in the military. It’s like me saying that Russia is better than China. Not only have I never been to either place, but  I’ve also done research on neither place. Thinking that I am right would be a dumb move on your par.

“The Air Force is the best branch,” a customer at Kroger told me once, “You won’t be shot at as much.” Sure that statement is somewhat true but keep in mind that person never served. How do I know? I asked if a loved one had served in any of the branches. They replied with a simple none of their family ever had been in the the military. Than how does this person feel entitled to tell people the Air Force is better?
Another favorite of mine is when a person tries to say that the only branches that offer on base college are the Navy and Air Force, when it is a common known fact that almost every base has a college program where they will either get you into online schooling or into the satellite schools that most bases in America have. Not kidding these are actual people who are trying to influence my decision and push me to their favorite branch.

Now  going on with some people’s beliefs about the military. If you weren’t aware, all men and women who plan to enlist have to take the ASVAB. Each branch has their own requirement on how low you can score to be allowed in. They will lower that score based on certain mental disabilities that a person may have. This is common knowledge given to people who talk to a recruiter. One thing they won’t do however is lower it thirty two points below the standard grade. I am being serious there are people who think this. Say someone wanted to be a marine but got a four on their ASVAB. The required score is a thirty six out of ninety nine. Why in hell would they even let you cook food if you scored that low? The stupidity of this thought truly amazes me to the point that I want to cry. I understand some people just don’t know, but when you are with them and they ask the recruiter you can’t help but think “Dude, you should not have asked a question like that.”

Than there are the people that guess on every part of the ASVAB score decently high because of luck, tell everyone they were just guessing, get their results, and proceed to brag about how high their score was and how qualified they are, when in reality they don’t qualify because they just guessed on the questions. If you're serious about wanting to be in the military actually try so that way you don’t royally screw over that recruiter because the branch you go in does keep a record of who recruits you. Not only will you probably get kicked out but you could truly screw up another person’s life.

I can’t stand people who think they know all about every branch and feel the need to inform others that the branch they support is the best. I also hate that some people think they can score anything and claim dyslexia and ADHD and get in off of that. It really bothers me to know end that people believe these things.