Is Jim Henson a Revolutionary American? | Teen Ink

Is Jim Henson a Revolutionary American?

By emenzel GOLD, Ho Ho Kus, New Jersey
emenzel GOLD, Ho Ho Kus, New Jersey

Do you ever think that school is boring.  Well, Jim Henson once said that “Television is basically teaching whether you want it to or not” (Jim Henson Quote).  Television is entertaining isn’t it?  Jim Henson is an iconic legend because he took education and learning to a whole new level for kids of all ages (NEWS).  You’ve probably seen one of his shows Sesame Street or the Muppets before.  As a creator of the Muppets and Sesame Street, Henson has touched millions of children’s lives worldwide because of his creation of well known TV characters, the continuation of his legacy after his death, and the significant achievements and awards that he won. 

One of the most important things in Jim Henson’s life that made him a revolutionary American was creating the Muppets and Sesame Street.  At first Henson wasn't sure if he wanted to be part of the television business.  Later on in his life, he was thankful for the help from his grandmother to go into the television business because she had creative passion for the arts and enjoyed seeing some of Henson’s drawings when he was little.  (Joan, and Nancy Harrison ).  As a puppeteer Henson created lots of puppets for different types of media like ads, movies, television and even broadway shows (Bio).  Some of the shows that Henson created puppets for we're The Muppets, Sesame Street, Sid the Science Kids, Unstable Fables, Dinosaur Train, pajanimals and even Fraggle Rock. (Harvard EdCast)  He created a lot of iconic puppets for kids television shows to make learning fun.  After working and creating different and unusual puppets he created a new and different name for his puppets.  Henson used the word muppet often enough that he coined the term muppet which meant marionette and puppet.  It was a new type of puppet that everyone loved to see and watch.  This was one reason why Jim Henson is revolutionary.   

Another reason why Jim Henson is a revolutionary American is because of the things that went on during and after his death.  Right before Henson died he had a big idea that was so great, and mind blowing that it had to be created.  He had an idea with walt Disney.  But unfortunately Henson died the day before it was first opened to the public.  This was one of the things that Henson wanted to do after he sold the muppet incorporation to disney.  After Henson died Disney reopened his great mind blowing creation called Muppet* Vision 3D.  It was the first 3D muppet creation.  It was another way for Henson to entertain people.  People at this point after he had died thought “Wow! He really should be a revolutionary American!”(Jones,).  The day after Henson died his wife Jane founded The Jim Henson Legacy.  This was important because people loved his work and wanted to keep it going even after he had died.  It is still used today.  The Legacy is in place of Henson’s memorable honors that they thought should still be up and running today and continuing new things that Henson would of done (The Jim Henson legacy).

The final reason why Jim Henson is a revolutionary American is because of the significant awards and achievements that he won.  Some of the achievements that he won are The Grammy Awards, Emmy awards, BAFTA awards, and many more..  He was so revolutionary that he even got to be placed on the Hollywood walk of fame for himself and as kermit the frog. This is why Jim Henson is so revolutionary. 

Because of the television shows and puppets he has created, the legacy after his death and the significant awards and achievements that he has won, Jim Henson is a Revolutionary American.  He has been creative and imaginative for so many years and inspired people after him to be the same as well.    As Jim Henson once said “Life's like a movie, write your own ending. Keep believing, keep pretending.”  Just remember you can do anything if you if you set your mind to it” (Ben Franklin) and that's what Jim Henson did.  

Work Cited
"Awards." IMDb. IMDb.com, n.d. Web. 08 Mar. 2016.
.
Bio.com. A&E Networks Television, n.d. Web. 04 Mar. 2016.
.
"FLASHBACK: Remembering Jim Henson, 25 Years After His Death."YouTube.
YouTube, n.d. Web. 09 Mar. 2016.
.
"Harvard EdCast: Growing Jim Henson's Legacy." Interview. Harvard Graduate
School of Education. N.p., n.d. Web. 07 Mar. 2016.
Holub, Joan, and Nancy Harrison. Who Was Jim Henson? New York: Grosset &
Dunlap, 2010. Print.
"Jim Henson's Classic Puppets Get New Life." YouTube. YouTube, n.d. Web. 09
Mar. 2016. .
"Jim Henson Quote: Television Is Basically Teaching Whether You Want It to or Not." Jim
Henson Quote: Television Is Basically Teaching Whether You Want It to or Not.
N.p., n.d. Web. 17 Mar. 2016. .
Jones, Brian Jay. Jim Henson: The Biography. New York: Ballantine, 2013. Print.
Pierre, Stephanie St. The Story of Jim Henson, Creator of the Muppets.
Milwaukee: Gareth Stevens Pub., 1997. Print.
"NEWS." The Jim Henson Company. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 Mar. 2016.
.
The Jim Henson Legacy. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 Mar. 2016.
.