Ryan's Journey | Teen Ink

Ryan's Journey

January 29, 2016
By Colin.B BRONZE, Mundelein, Illinois
Colin.B BRONZE, Mundelein, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

His parents had not meant to restrict his life; they had too much to worry about, but they did love him very much. But Ryan being the oldest out of 12 kids meant that he had lots of pressure and responsibility resting on his shoulders. He didn’t have many friends, belongings, or go to school daily, but he had his heavy hearted siblings with him. He felt as though his homeschooling was just a part of his his life. As the oldest in the big family, he had many jobs including working for future college payments, helping out siblings, and taking charge when parents were away. But with his father working two blue collar jobs and his mother being a homeschool teacher for others and himself, total family time was hard to come by. Even when his parents were home, they tried their best to help give him the very best support even when they were in the middle of financial family troubles.

He was the most easygoing of the 12 children. He didn’t blame his parents nor siblings for a lack of support, but instead motivated himself to work so that someday he could get a college education and live the american dream. One day when he was about 16 years old, his siblings found him in hardship not knowing what to do. This emotional injury which he had suffered wore down on his siblings hard because in their eyes he was seen as their third parent. Once he had defeated this emotional struggle he soon realized the support he needed came from a band of siblings which he thought, “It was an unexpected way to find the best support that I could find.”

And it happened in the following months, in the family’s beautiful and natural backyard in northern Wisconsin just beyond the chicken coop, when he stumble hard to the ground after a misjump on the trampoline. He saw his sibling racing to him to see if he was ok, and at this point he began to realize he had all the support needed to succeed. Then during the still of the night while he was watching T.V. he overheard his parent’s thoughts from the nearby kitchen, “Dale, we are trying to support these kids with what they want, but they have all they need in their own family to succeed in the very best way,” said the mother. He was left speechless after hearing that his parents also realized the solution to the problem of (non-supportive) in the family . 2 years later,  It was then the time in which he embarked on his journey to college because of all the hard work he put into balancing jobs and school .Now it was his younger siblings turn for them to realize what support they would have in the future. It was he, not his parents fault , when bad grades in college begun to rise while he was studying to be a business major; and he put that on himself for not trying hard enough and knowing lack of support wasn’t to blame because he knew he had 11 full time followers at home praising him. After this hiccup he stayed perfect through college and moved out of the house to the sunshine state where his full time job was, and where he met a girl which he was attracted to.

Then he married, which seemed at an early time in the relationship. The girl,Olivia, who was as supportive as a reclining chair, holding up a full grown man was a perfect fit for Ryan as she brought him emotional attention which he needed. Her emotions began to heal him and they became extremely joyful together. By comparison, Ryan was as unstable as a chair with two broken legs, but Mary acted like a carpenter restoring antiques. You should see them now as newlyweds with their


The author's comments:

I am inspired by the person I wrote about, and chose to write about him because he overcame great adversity.