Finding Her Own Way | Teen Ink

Finding Her Own Way

By reshmijpatel6 GOLD, Katy, Texas
reshmijpatel6 GOLD, Katy, Texas

It’s 1971 in the Philippines. Liberal Ferdinand Marcos leads the nation. In June seventy Muslim Filipinos are brutally massacred. In August the Plaza Miranda is bombed. Now September, the political conflict continues. It’s October, Halloween Day and Mila Bersabal is born in the city of Bohol.

Although born in an area rife with poverty, Mila was fortunate enough to be the child of two successful science teachers, and was thus exposed to the wonders of science at a very young age. Curious, eager to learn, and self-motivated, Mila excelled in school, graduating from high school as class valedictorian. She went on to earn her Bachelor of Science in Physics Education at the Philippine Normal University and her Master of Arts in Physics Education at the University of Philippines. She continued to excel here, earning the Best in Thesis award.

Mila began her career at age 20, first as a physics teacher in Cebu City Science High School and later hired as a physics instructor for medical students at the University of Philippines. Despite the impoverished community and poor science facilities in which she taught, Mila instilled a love of learning in all her students. She worked through her frustration, doing whatever it took; she even purchased materials out of her own pocket on a regular basis.

It is clear then why for Mila “coming to the U.S. was like winning the lottery!” She finally had the laboratory and means to teach the way she had always dreamt of doing. Ecstatic to be teaching in a more fortunate area, Mila was astounded when her students did not share her excitement. Rather than listening to and participating in the lessons she had so carefully planned, Mila’s students used the time to socialize with their friends or catch up on sleep. Mila was shocked; she had worked for hours on end, making the lessons as enjoyable as possible and teaching them in a fun and engaging way.

After communicating with several other staff members, Mila realized that this was no special case; the students behaved the exact same way in each and every one of their classes. Expecting this new job to be a huge improvement over her past position in the Philippines, Mila was thrown off balance by this “culture shock.” However, she recovered quickly and soon concluded that it was up to her to kindle a passion for science in her pupils. Determined to be successful, Mila began thinking outside the box. To her, this meant reaching “beyond the four walls of her classroom, and even the curriculum, both literally and figuratively.”

She began with the assumption that all children were inherently curious, no matter the bored façade they might put on for their friends and classmates. Mila was certain that beneath that uninterested teenager was a “child with a thousand and one questions.” Through careful observation, she found that the sense of awe and wonder, usually so automatic for children, had become selective due to the vast amounts of technology they were exposed to on a daily basis. They saw no purpose in experimenting and learning for themselves because the answer to every problem was readily available, just a Google search away.

Mila’s love of teaching led her to persevere when faced with this challenge, one that would make even the best teachers falter. She developed her very own three-step teaching method. Step one: use natural curiosity to draw students in; step two: make learning a process of discovery; and step three: apply these concepts in the real world. For example, during a unit on motion, Mila conducted an entire class in an auto shop. Here, she guided her students in investigating the mechanics of car engines and exploring the concept of acceleration. Her students stayed engaged and focused instead of dozing off, as they would have during a typical lecture.

Mila’s hard work and creativity definitely paid off. The physics program at Lee High School only had 18 students when she was hired. In less than five years, she expanded the program to 71 regular physics students, 34 pre-AP physics students, and 70 AP physics students. Additionally, a large number of Mila’s students went on to start careers in engineering and science. Her influence within the school continued to grow as well, as she took on roles of science department chair member, head science teacher, and panel member of the Texas Math and Science Diagnostic Systems program.

Mila went on to teach physics at KIPP Houston High School, and finally in 2012 was hired to teach at Village High School, where she is currently an IB Physics teacher, as well as head of the science department. She won a multitude of awards along the way, including the Wilhelmina C. Robertson Excellence in Science and Math Teaching Award, Lee High School Teacher of the Year, NOBCChe Gulf Coast Chapter Teacher of the Year, Texas Finalist for the Presidential Awards for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching Award, West Region KBR Science Teacher of the Year, NSF Award for Science & Engineering Research, Texas Distinguished Science Educator, and finally the Lemelson-MIT Invent Team Excite Award.

Mila is rightfully described by colleagues as possessing not only the confidence and expertise of her discipline but also the ability to inspire young minds. As one coworker said, “Mrs. Taylor makes learning accessible to her students. They know they are cared for as individuals and therefore delight in the opportunities to achieve and be recognized in class.” Starting out as a teacher in a small town in the Philippines, Mila Bersabal Taylor has made her mark on this world, and continues to spread her knowledge, through her passion for physics and care for each and every one of her students.

Ms. Bersabal-Taylor is both an incredible woman, and teacher. I was so fortunate to have her as my physics teacher last year and hope to have her again for IB Phyiscs next year.