Ben Parkinson's Amazing Comeback | Teen Ink

Ben Parkinson's Amazing Comeback

“BOOM”. That’s probably the only thing that Ben Parkinson heard before he blacked out. His Land Rover was hit by a landmine in Helmand Province in Afghanistan in 2006. He was in a coma for 4 months. He broke his back in three places, punctured his lungs, broke every single rib and his pelvis, ruptured his spleen, and smashed his cheek, nose, and jaw. Those are just some of the 40 injuries he suffered from that bomb blast.

In addition, he suffered massive brain injuries that took away his speech, and also lost both of his legs. He is the most serious injured soldier ever to survive his injuries. He has been undergoing Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy in Edinburgh. He has to spend an hour a day breathing pure oxygen. That has allowed him to feel his legs again for the first time since 2006. 

He’s also now able to swallow solid foods, before he could only eat liquidised foods. Recently, the therapy has unlocked his hips, and he can now walk on prosthetic legs without crutches or any help. His speech has improved, and he can now use his left arm again. 

In 2012, he carried the Olympic Torch in the Olympic Torch Relay. He walked for half an hour with some help from his father. He was very courageous and brave to take part in the relay. He also took part in a Jump4Heroes skydive.