The Gates Solution | Teen Ink

The Gates Solution

By BonJovi BRONZE, Fort Worth, Texas
BonJovi BRONZE, Fort Worth, Texas

You might think of BIll Gates as a hard working founder of Microsoft or a technological genius, but one thing you might not know about him is that he is one of the world’s richest men who left Microsoft to donate billions of dollars and help the world by creating new innovative inventions.

In 2014 Bill Gates wife, Melinda Gates, persuaded Bill to quit Microsoft and work with her to help what Bill Gates calls the Bottom 2 Billion. The Bottom 2 Billion consists of a third of the world’s population that lives with less than 2 U.S dollars a day. These people usually live in areas where electricity is scarce and disease is far and wide.

One of the solutions to diseases are vaccines, which helps the body understand the disease. A problem arises with vaccines because they need to be kept cold to remain functional. When electricity is rare, it is often very hard to keep refrigerators running. One solution Gates has proposed is something he calls the “Super Thermos”. It is a strong heat -resistant thermos made from the same material spaceships use to break and re-enter the atmosphere. This thermos can keep vaccines cold for 50 days on a single batch of ice.

Another problem for the bottom two billion is agriculture. In the 1960’s to 1980’s there was an agricultural revolution. Which introduce a lot of new ways to produce crops faster. This meant that the world thought the food supply problem in Africa and thought it was gone but this was hardly the case. The way Gates plans to solve this problem is to talk to each farmer individually, discuss their unique needs, and give the farmers heartier seeds that grow better on the poor soil in that area. Doing this will help the farmers grow crops faster and better.

Gates plans to help the bottom two billion donating money and interacting directly with them to ensure their future. Gates has changed the world once with computers and is about to change the world by helping people through hard times.