Our Flag | Teen Ink

Our Flag

By Taytaynugg SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Taytaynugg SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Purity and innocence, hardiness and valour, vigilance and perseverance--we are the people of the United States and that is what our flag stands for.
Some people look at the United States flag and see nothing but a cloth. But when I see the flag, I see justice and freedom. I picture thousands of men and women leaving their homes to fight for America’s freedoms and ideals, allowing us to live the lives we have now. We wouldn’t be where we are today without these heroic men and women fighting for us, our country and our flag. 
The United States needs to salute the men and women serving in our armed forces. It takes courage and audacity to do what they did. Stop for a moment and shake their hand--give them a sign of respect that’ll only take a moment of your time.
The flag can have 1,000 plus meanings, but to me, men and women in service give the greatest meaning to the flag. Not only did these men and women get us where we are today, but they also protect us and have given the true meaning to the United States flag.
I salute all the men and women who have fought--and still are fighting--for this country. They’re our freedom. They’re the reason for our rights and liberties. And they’re the meaning behind our flag.
Purity and innocence, hardiness and valour, vigilance and perseverance--all and all, these men and women who fight for our country are what the United States flag stands for.