The Girl Who Changed Me | Teen Ink

The Girl Who Changed Me

June 14, 2015
By SandraNair GOLD, Trivandrum,Kerala, Other
SandraNair GOLD, Trivandrum,Kerala, Other
10 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"One Child,One teacher,One book and one pen can change the world"- Didi(Malala Yousafzai).

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow,learn as if you were to live forever"
- Mahatma Gandhi


I had always thought about the problems faced by the girls all around the world. But till that day I had never thought about what I could do in order to wipe the tears of women.


That day … for the first time in my life… I took my time to think what I can do for me, for women! The day when I read an article on Malala Yousafsai’s struggle for education, my mind was swinging somewhere in Swat. The thoughts of the miseries this little young girl and her friends had to face gave me sleepless nights. I was rethinking about the cruelties towards the female, the avoidance of women from different fields of the world, sex selection, women murders, gender hierarchy, declining female population! I felt distracted and mad!!! The very next morning I was behind my mother, disturbing her to get the book, ‘I am Malala’ written by the admirable lady, Malala Yousafsai. Thank God that that day’s newspaper column contained this book’s name among the ‘40 must-read books’! And thus my mom promised to purchase the book for me.


Just a few days later I came across an exhibition (thank you Lord!) and I bought the book which I longed for. Two days, two complete days were enough to finish the 320 or more paged books… Once I finished each line I used to explain the content to my family, especially to my mother. As read in the book, I made placards and charts on Women Empowerment and Education. I held classes for my family on Gender Hierarchy. I started studying much better when I came to know that Malala was a very studious student. My family made fun of me by saying that I must’ve improved far before if I had got the book earlier, in every aspect.


On the very first day of this academic year, my mom asked me to pray and I prayed, “O Malala, please make me capable of studying well and being a good girl this year”. My mother and sister were laughing at me. Another day I cut out her picture from a newspaper and kept it in my box. On seeing this, my family told that students usually keep their God’s picture in their boxes and bags and this was different.


As my mother told, I also firmly believe that I have changed a lot after knowing about Malala and any child who read that book and come to know the worries of the female, they’ll surely start changing themselves! 
After all, I’m shocked to know that over 62 million women are illiterate!!! Anyway, we may not be able to educate all of them, but WE MUST MAKE SURE THAT EDUCATION IS PROVIDED TO EACH AND EVERY CHILD OF THIS GENERATION…