Super Humans | Teen Ink

Super Humans

May 14, 2015
By Tburnett BRONZE, St Charles, Missouri
Tburnett BRONZE, St Charles, Missouri
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

An In-Depth Analysis of the Realities Behind Fictional “Superpowers”
A human being with a “superpower” is someone who has an ability that other humans do not posses, and exceed other abilities possessed by humans. In reality, not many people possess actual superhuman abilities, but superpowers are discussed frequently in fiction. From comic books, to novels, and even in movies, superpowers have existed for a long time. Characters like Superman or Spiderman have abilities that may seem helpful at times, but could become problematic in real world scenarios. In the following passages, I will be discussing the good sides and bad sides to these superpowers to decide on which ones would be the most helpful in the real world.
Superhuman Strength
Super Strength is the ability to move extremely heavy objects with ease. In fiction, characters like Superman, The Hulk, and The Thing all have super strength. This ability could be helpful all the time while working. You could lift building material without the help of machines, win in any fight or war, and most importantly impress people. This seems like a great power, but what about the downsides. Assuming that you can’t turn off this power, you would have to be extremely careful while doing anything. Opening doors could break them, walking could shatter the ground around you, shaking someone’s hand could kill them, petting a friend’s dog could…lose you some friends. Also even while using this power with good intentions, you would have to be extremely careful with every single movement you make. Overall, there are more downsides to this power than good sides so it may not be the most practical in real life.
X-Ray Vision
X-Ray vision is the ability to see through anything and everything. There are few times in fiction where X-ray vision is mentioned except for in Superman. X-ray vision can be used to see through buildings, skin, clothing, and any other matter in the universe. X-ray vision could be extremely useful in war when looking for the enemy. This power could also be useful in the surgeries when looking for breaks in bones or other internal problems without having to use an X-Ray machine. However, if someone were to ever lose control of this power they may see plenty of things they do not want to see(through clothing). Also assuming that the person uses the power frequently on people, they could develop diseases caused by radiation like cancer. The person would probably be arrested for being a pervert and the leading cause of cancer on the planet.
Super Speed
Someone who has superhuman speed would be much faster than any normal man could train himself to be. Heroes, like The Flash, can be anywhere on the planet anytime they wanted. Even places across oceans can be crossed by running quickly across the water and that the person wouldn't sink. If someone could run that much of a distance imagine how many calories they would burn as well! Though the downsides are just as bad as the good ones. Running that fast and burning that many calories would require you to gain as many calories back as well or you would run out of energy so fast you probably wouldn't be running across the world in the first place. That being said the only way to make use of your power would be to eat constantly or only around your neighborhood. Also running around that fast could easily make you blind and not notice running into people, and if you ran into someone while going that fast you could smash right into them like a bullet. As well as killing other people you could kill yourself if you ran into something too hard too fast.
Healing Factor/Immortality
Having an advanced healing factor would mean that the body would heal faster than any other human body. Wolverine and Deadpool are some popular characters who have this ability. This power would heal broken bones in seconds, bullet wounds are easily stitched  together without stitches, and nothing could kill the person except drowning or decapitation (assuming the healing comes from the commands your brain makes to the body). Along with this healing factor the human would never get diseases so naturally you will age much slower than anyone else. Since he/she would live longer than anyone else, everyone that person knows would get sick and die while they stayed healthy. Most people would develop mental problems like survivor's guilt or major depression. Another problem would be that since the person would be healed from everything their body felt was harmful to them, they could not enjoy fats and sugars along with alcohol.
Though many times superpowers in your favorite movie may seem like a great idea, after careful examination of the science behind these abilities it may be better to keep them saved for fictional superhumans than for real humans.