What I Can Learn From Veterans | Teen Ink

What I Can Learn From Veterans

March 29, 2015
By SizzlingDiamond BRONZE, Kountze, Texas
SizzlingDiamond BRONZE, Kountze, Texas
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

There are numerous things you can learn from a Veteran. For example, you could learn the values of hard work, and the way they operate their equipment. The most important thing you can learn from a Veteran is what they sacrifice. Many of us think that doing stuff in the Military is very easy, but they don’t know all the struggles and hardships that a Veteran went through.


Veterans make many sacrifices for us. One of them is, staying away from their family. For some of them that might not be easy. Several of them leave in the hope of them coming back and getting to see their family again. While some leave in the hope that everything would be safe.


Another sacrifice they make is their life. Every single Veteran continuously has to face a life/death situation. For some of them it’s a life situation, while for others it’s a death situation.


You wouldn’t be able to imagine how their families might feel when they have to send the son/husband/father. Every second they wonder if their son/husband/father is okay or not. They also sacrifice their physical health. Some come home without a leg, arm, or some metal health issue.


Last but not least, they sacrifice their time. Instead of fighting wars they could have been doing many other things. For example, they could spend more time with their family by going on a vacation, or they could have earned a professional career, but no they wanted to save OUR lives. They are more sacrifices they have made; these were only a few of them.