My Mother's Daughter | Teen Ink

My Mother's Daughter

By CherryX14 BRONZE, Madison, Alabama
CherryX14 BRONZE, Madison, Alabama

I love my mother dearly, but sometimes it's hard being my mother's daughter.

My mother was born in China. Even at a young age, she was no stranger to adversity. In those days, when cars and bikes were not ubiquitous and the only way to get around was by foot, my mother would trek a mile each day to her elementary school. Because many buildings lacked heating or air conditioning, my mother faced winter days so cold that frozen fingers could barely write and summer days so muggy that any physical activity required herculean effort. Yet, my mother endured. In fact, she did more than endure. She excelled. From elementary school all the way through college, my mother was at the top of her class, well-liked by both her teachers and classmates.

My mother eventually met my father, and soon after, I arrived. In the midst of obtaining her degree at one of the best colleges in the nation, my mother decided to suspend her studies to care for me. When my father decided to move the family to America, my mother was forced to start from scratch again. With rusty English and a young child at home, my mother still managed to be accepted into a university, and this time, she successfully completed her degree.

In this modern time, I cannot imagine what struggles my mother braved. In my privileged life, I have never experienced the hardships she has. I am a good student, but I often wonder how I can ever match my mother's accomplishments.

I refuse to let this thought discourage me. I will succeed, just like my mother. I will be just as great as her, because I am my mother's daughter.